Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 loads and bullets that work best in Kodiak cva >

loads and bullets that work best in Kodiak cva

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

loads and bullets that work best in Kodiak cva

Old 10-23-2007, 06:41 PM

Default loads and bullets that work best in Kodiak cva

Just bought a cva kodiak and would like to hear from people on what powder loads and bullets work best for them before I start buying stuff to get started with any other info about this rifle would also be appreciated.

Thanks
Old 10-23-2007, 06:50 PM

Default RE: loads and bullets that work best in Kodiak cva

Did I mention 240gr XTPs on the Nebraska forum? Have had luck with those as well in the Kodiak Main thing when starting is to get a few different bullets and weights and see what makes a difference. Have fun.
Old 10-23-2007, 06:57 PM
Fork Horn

Mine shoots 295gr PowerBelt with 85 gr of 3F Goex Pinnacle and winchester 209 primers out to 50 yds pretty well. Took my first deer ever with it last year. Short shot... inside of 40 yds. It left a nice exit wound.
I'm going out this weekend but will be playing with 240 and 300 gr XTP with Harvester Crushed Rib sabots. I'll see how it shoots and do my best to keep you posted.
Old 10-23-2007, 07:26 PM
Giant Nontypical

Welcome to our group
Due to Barrel tolorances and harmonics that is a very diffacult question to answer.
I would suggest you find some shooters of muzzle loaders in your area if you can and get some of the different sabots available in particular MPP12-MPP-HPH24 AND the Harvester Crush Rib pick up some of the standard bullets that shoot good in a wide range of guns, as an example ,the Shock Waves and the 250 and 300 gr XTP and Gold Dot. Then go home and pull your breach plug and try the different thicknesses of sabot with some of the bullets find a sabot that is snug enough that you really have to push to get down but is not so tight that you have to pound on it or that wont load smooth. I use either a T handle or a wood ball with a ramrod size hole drilled half way through. I will stress the importance of being able to load smooth so you get the same pressure on the load each time, a lot of people that are not reloaders do not understand the importance of wad pressure or thewhat amounts to the same thing; if you wantit to shoot good groups this is a must.
That said, to loose will not shoot good and if the bullet or sabot and bullet do not stay put they will act as a barrel obstruction which is dangerous.
There are some other sabots available if none of the ones I mentioned give you the right fit.
If you are looking for fine accuracy you will have to run the powder ladder and try a number of bullets, if you are looking for hunting accuracy for 100yds or less then you might try the pellets in 100gr[ two 50gr pellets] with the 250gr XTP Shock Wave and Gold Dot, if they wont shoot in you gun try the 300grs if they wont then start lookin for whats wrong like a loose mounting bolt or scope or scope mounts. It is good to wipe between each shot with a damp patch [cleaning fluid like windex with viniger or alk & winshield warsher fluid 50/50].
Always be sure that your bullet &sabot is tight on the powder it is not safe to shoot other wise.
If you have any questions there are a number of people here with many years ofdifferent kinds of muzzle loader shooting that will try to give you an answer, you will soon be able to tell who they are. Lee

Old 10-31-2007, 02:40 PM

My Kodiak loves the Powerbelt Platinum 270gr behind 100 gr of 2F true black.
Old 11-01-2007, 06:33 AM
Nontypical Buck

lemoyne gave good information. I have a CVA Wolf not a Kodiak. My barrel is shorter but I believe the barrel twist is the same. Here's the following bullets I'ves used with good results, all sabots were the Harvester Crushed Rib

300gr XTP
250 and 300gr Barnes Expander MZ (also packaged as the Kinght Red Hot)

Conicals
Powerbelt 245 and 300gr areo tips
250gr Harvester Sabre Tooths

My CVA shoots all the above very well but I've choosen to use the Barnes hunting because they are all copper and retain their weight good. Plus with the Crushed Rib sabot they load nice.....you don't have to beat them down the barrel.