Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

recovered bullets

Old 10-28-2007, 01:27 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: recovered bullets

big rockpile, I think we all learn a bit here and a bit there, I do believe that the best thing about this particular forum is that we learn a lot from each other, and some times its good to have your ideas confirmed orblown away before you make a mistake too. Lee
Old 10-28-2007, 02:17 PM
Fork Horn

Here in Pennsylvania we are not allowed to use the 40 caliber bullets in the primitive season so I bought some 200 grain .430 bullets and mmp green sabots for my 1:28 twist flintlock and was glad they werejust as accurate as the .452 250 grain xtp bullets in the black sabots. I know it's not the same bullet but it's the best I can use.

I have 2 barrels for the RMC flintlock stock. One is 24" and the other is 28". I can use two bullet sizes and charge rates without re-sighting. I wonder if any of you have used the .429 210 grain Gold Dots? I think I will order a box when I get the .452 250 grain Gold Dots.

I am saving the newspapers for a penetration and expansion test of the 200-250 grain bullets from my fast twist GM barreled flintlock. I think I will hang a welders glove in front of a 5 gal. bucket of wet newspaper. Pics coming soon. Thanks to all.
Old 10-28-2007, 08:17 PM
Giant Nontypical

Mossie, well under the circumstances that would be my choice to its a very good bullet. Lee
Old 10-29-2007, 04:29 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Mossie

I am saving the newspapers for a penetration and expansion test of the 200-250 grain bullets from my fast twist GM barreled flintlock. I think I will hang a welders glove in front of a 5 gal. bucket of wet newspaper. Pics coming soon. Thanks to all.
I am interesed in seeing that test with a FL, especially with the Gold Dot. What is the reason for the Welders Glove? Chap Gleason
Old 10-29-2007, 06:13 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: gleason.chapman

I am interesed in seeing that test with a FL, especially with the Gold Dot. What is the reason for the Welders Glove? Chap Gleason
I'd be interested to know as well. To simulate a deers hide??
Old 10-29-2007, 08:32 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: sjsfire

ORIGINAL: gleason.chapman

I'd be interested to know as well. To simulate a deers hide??
Makes sense. Thanks Chap
Old 11-25-2007, 11:11 PM
Fork Horn

Recovered T/C shockwave 250 grain Bonded bullet. It was found on the off side between the ribs and the right front shoulder blade of a cow elk taken at 52 yards. It weighed 202.5 grains (81% retained weight).As you can see it opened up to about the size of a quarter.

http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c142/bhines57/DSCF0019.jpg
Old 11-26-2007, 03:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: AZBear

Recovered T/C shockwave 250 grain Bonded bullet. It was found on the off side between the ribs and the right front shoulder blade of a cow elk taken at 52 yards. It weighed 202.5 grains (81% retained weight).As you can see it opened up to about the size of a quarter.

http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c142/bhines57/DSCF0019.jpg
That is very good expansion and retained weight. Did all the petals stay on the bullet? Are they thick petals or rather thin? This was a regular SST right. Chap Gleason

Old 11-27-2007, 03:33 AM
Fork Horn

Chap Gleason

The bullet was a T/C Shockwave Bonded (Blue tip), I think the standard Shockwave is not a bonded bullet and has a yellow tip. I lost 2 petals off the bullet and the petals are not thick like the Barnes bullets. The inside of the bullethas a lead core and is bonded like a partition.The bullet initially hit a rib on impact and may account for the lost petals since the entryhole was very large, much larger than the bullet pictured. I guess the impact caused the rib to explode and enlarge the hole. I had a piece of rib cut the stomach and that was not too bad.

PS. To answer your question on the HornadySST I guess it is about the same since I belive Hornady make the bulletsfor T/C.
Old 11-27-2007, 07:51 AM

Bullet,or jacket recovered from a buck shot at 162 yds. front on shot through the chest. Bullet 250gr Shock Wave/3 50gr. Pyrodex pellets,Fed 209A primer. http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d86/rks1949/Hunting/NewProHunterBuck162yds009.jpg

Quick Reply: recovered bullets

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.