Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Got This Little Guy >

Got This Little Guy

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Got This Little Guy

Old 11-13-2007, 11:25 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Got This Little Guy

"Good Job! Also thanks for the info! I haven't sighted my new Omega yet, but there's a good chance I'll be using those same XTP's if my gun likes them."

Thanks. That cheap little CVA gun is really a tack driver with the .430 240 grain XTP. Killed a lot of deer and hogs with it. iuseitfor hunting squirrels and rabbits-with the same bullet and 60 grains of Pyrodex RS.

When you work up your load for the 240 grain XTP, start with 80 grains of Pyrodex RS, go up in 10 grain incrementsand see what it likes.
Old 11-13-2007, 11:50 AM
Dominant Buck

falcon - Those CVA Staghorns are good shooters. That deer never saw it coming. And 30-40 yards is a respectable shot. About what I encounter around here.

this was a load I was trying out to see where they would hit at 50 yards. I am going to be using it in the late afternoons from a tree stand in the Cedar Marshes. Shadows get thick there fast. But most the shots are 30 yards. This CVA will plant one for sure. I do not think 100 grains of the Graf's & Sons black powder will push that 300 grain too fast. It was one reason I went to the heavier bullet. And I hope to have the same kind of damage to a deer that you described...

The clean barrel kind of bothered me so I am going to fowl it with some APP and see where it hits fowled with that. Then group #1 was good, but I made a small adjustment to the RED DOT and the next four were where I wanted them.

I also shot some 375 grain Buffalo Bullets with the same powder charge at another target. A very impressive group with them big rascals... So many bullets to choose from. That Staghorn is just not very fussy when it comes to projectiles.
Old 11-13-2007, 12:36 PM
Boone & Crockett

"I also shot some 375 grain Buffalo Bullets with the same powder charge at another target. A very impressive group with them big rascals..."

Those aregood groups. Yep,two bullets went throughthat hole. That 300 grain bullet should do a really good job on deer. i have a lot of 370 grain conicals. Years ago ifound a very accurate load for the Staghorn. It was70 grains of Pyrodex RS and the 370 grain conicals.Never mind, i wanted a more powerful load and things went pretty well until i got to 100 grains of RS. Then accuracy went to pot. At that time in my muzzleloading career i had a bad case of magnumitis and just gave up on the conicals.Do you think that 70-80 grains of Pyrodex RSand a 370 grain bulletwill zap a deer cleanly at 100 yards?

Old 11-13-2007, 12:50 PM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: falcon

BTW: The gun had been loaded since 26 September.
BTW: Did you know that static electricity in the barrel will ignite the charge?
Old 11-13-2007, 01:12 PM
Spike

Congrats on your deer as already mentioned thats gonna be some tasty venison I surely would never leave a muzzleloader loaded a very dangerous thing to do. I know a guy that did that and his knight went off in his trailor, no kidding. he had to do alot of patching on the roof........Shaun
[align=left] [/align]
Old 11-13-2007, 01:28 PM
Boone & Crockett

"BTW: Did you know that static electricity in the barrel will ignite the charge?"

Nope.

"I surely would never leave a muzzleloader loaded a very dangerous thing to do."

i used the wrong term. IMO: Theproper definition of a loaded muzzleloader is one that is capped.Mine are not stored capped.
Old 11-13-2007, 01:57 PM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: falcon

"BTW: Did you know that static electricity in the barrel will ignite the charge?"

Nope.

"I surely would never leave a muzzleloader loaded a very dangerous thing to do."

i used the wrong term. IMO: Theproper definition of a loaded muzzleloader is one that is capped.Mine are not stored capped.
It will ignite without a CAP!
Old 11-13-2007, 02:12 PM

How long might it take to build up thiselectricity and where exactly does this electricity come from and WHY in the WORLD would it spark on the inside of the gun?
Old 11-13-2007, 02:33 PM
Dominant Buck

I personally think 70 grains and a maxiball on deer would be deadly. A friend of mine hunts with that exact load in his New Englander. He shot a buck at 70 yards one year, blew through him and he said the hole it made was hard to believe.. He even hunts bear with that load.
Old 11-13-2007, 02:35 PM
Boone & Crockett

"I personally think 70 grains and a maxiball on deer would be deadly."

It it is not too windy tomorrow i will give it a try.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.