HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Got This Little Guy
View Single Post
Old 11-13-2007, 11:50 AM
cayugad
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Got This Little Guy

falcon - Those CVA Staghorns are good shooters. That deer never saw it coming. And 30-40 yards is a respectable shot. About what I encounter around here.

this was a load I was trying out to see where they would hit at 50 yards. I am going to be using it in the late afternoons from a tree stand in the Cedar Marshes. Shadows get thick there fast. But most the shots are 30 yards. This CVA will plant one for sure. I do not think 100 grains of the Graf's & Sons black powder will push that 300 grain too fast. It was one reason I went to the heavier bullet. And I hope to have the same kind of damage to a deer that you described...

The clean barrel kind of bothered me so I am going to fowl it with some APP and see where it hits fowled with that. Then group #1 was good, but I made a small adjustment to the RED DOT and the next four were where I wanted them.

I also shot some 375 grain Buffalo Bullets with the same powder charge at another target. A very impressive group with them big rascals... So many bullets to choose from. That Staghorn is just not very fussy when it comes to projectiles.