Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Help Unloading my muzzleloader? >

Help Unloading my muzzleloader?

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Help Unloading my muzzleloader?

Old 10-14-2007, 06:05 PM

Default Help Unloading my muzzleloader?

Like an idiot. I forgot to unload my muzzleloader from last year. I am now trying. I am afraid to shoot it off, cause it has been loaded for so long. Ive. tried to push the powder and bullet out, but it won't budge. I am not sure how much force to use pushing. Should i shoot it, or is there another method of unloading. Thanks to whom it may concern.
Old 10-14-2007, 06:15 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Help Unloading my muzzleloader?

Welcome to the forum. Make sure the projectile is seated firmly on the powder charge and shoot it off. There should be no danger.

If you do not want to shoot it off, and you are concerned about "pushing the load." Pour some water down the barrel and kill the powder charge. Then push the mess out. Feel free to push as hard as you need to. The real danger after killing the powder charge is bending the ramrod when you push the charge out.

I take it we are talking about an inline rifle here. If it is traditional.. shot the devil. I'd even shoot it if it were an inline. Powder does not go as bad with time as you might think. Some people with black powder rifles over 100 years old discovered their rifles were not only loaded, but would fire. After you shoot it, swab the barrel and check if for rust.
Old 10-14-2007, 06:41 PM
Boone & Crockett

scottmich001

Hey Scott! welcome aboard - what I think is one of the best forums in the world... there really some great guys and gals here...

Which rifle is it?
Is it a conical or a sabot/bullet combination?

I would totally agree with cayugad - I would shoot it our in a safe place... even if you have already dumped some of the powder... Put the BPlug back in cap it and shoot it...

The other method is as cayugad said - kill the charge and drive it out... if you driveit from the rear and it is a sabot use a narrow wood dowel - if yourive it from the muzzle use a near bore sizehordwood dowel and drive it with a mallet or hammer...

Good luck...
Old 10-14-2007, 06:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

As Cayugad said, as long as the projectile is seated tight against the charge it should be fine to just shoot it.
If it don't fire you may have problems with a wet charge & rusting in the chamber. Check it out after you get it emptied!
Old 10-14-2007, 07:46 PM
Typical Buck

"Tried to push it out"

Folks we don't even know what kind of gun he owns. Sidelock?, Flint? Inline with a breech plug?

What are you shooting?
Old 10-14-2007, 07:50 PM
Giant Nontypical

You sould do just like Cayquad and Sabotloader said. as long as the bullet is firmly seated on the powder and the barrel is not rusted up bad it should be all right.
If not you should give enough info like the type and make of the gun and what it is loaded with so we can help you. Lee

Old 10-15-2007, 03:32 AM
Typical Buck

If you are going to push it out, buy a thicker hardwood dowel that will stillfitthrough the breechplug hole.It costs about $1 at a hardware store. Then use a mallet or such to hammer the bullet out.
I'd guess that you can still shoot it out, if you didn't already budge the bullet forward.
Old 10-15-2007, 07:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

I read the post. Said he tried pushing the charge out so I don't think it is a side lock of any sorts. I stand withCayugad and sabot loader (AKA conical shooter).

Al
Old 10-15-2007, 08:37 PM

Why can't he use a bullet puller on the end of a ramrod?
Old 10-15-2007, 09:06 PM
Typical Buck

Scottmich -

How did you come to realize you "forgot to unload" the gun from last year?