Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 PA Pellet flinter loads? >

PA Pellet flinter loads?

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

PA Pellet flinter loads?

Old 10-13-2007, 06:31 PM
Spike

Default PA Pellet flinter loads?

Hey all, just stopped by the local shop this morning and spent my hard saved money on a new PA Pellet flintlock, ist's the wood stock-blued-barrel model, anyway, it will arrive sometime within the next 2 weeks, so, (the one the store had in stock was used and all scratched from poor owner care, so i went for new, did like the handling fit tho), my question is, what has been anybody experience with this gunin terms of what loads they find works for them, i know every gun different , but this will give me a starting point when i take it to the range, and hopefully save having to go thr a crap load of bullets till i get the right load.
Old 10-13-2007, 08:00 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: PA Pellet flinter loads?

First off let me welcome you to the forum.

All I can tell you about your rifle is from what I have read and talked to others, that own them. I almost bought one of them rifles once, but they store goofed up the order and when I called them on the mistake they made me angry, as if it were my fault, so I cancelled the whole thing.

When I was talking to a fellow that hog hunts with his PA Pellet, he was shooting 80 grains of Goex 2f and a 240 grain Thompson Center Mag Express XTP. He said he got good accuracy out of it. Which surprised me since the rifle had a 1-48 twist. He was also shooting maxiball with 80 grains of Goex.

It is like you said, all rifles are different, and there is no telling what the rifle will shoot. I would start out with some .490 roundball, patches and 80 grains of Goex 2f powder. 3f or 4f as a prime flash. Keep us posted as to how well the rifle shoots. I instead bought the Traditions Woodsman Hawkins Flintlock with the 1-48 twist. It is a great shooter with 90 grains of Goex 2f and a patched roundball..