Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

TC Pro- Hunter

Old 09-26-2007, 10:36 AM
Fork Horn

Default TC Pro- Hunter

All I can say is WOW! I know thses guns are high priced but trust me they are woth every penny. Mine is set up with a Leupold VX-III 3.5x10x40, Warne rings and base, shooting three APP JSG Sticks with a 300 grain Nosler Partition PP in a HPH 24. I got the gun two days ago and went to the range to sight her in yesterday,,, shot it four times and it was on the money left and right and about two inches high at 100 yards... looks like the gun is going to be shooting around a 1 1/4" group. The clean up on the Pro-Hunter shooting the JSG was almost too easy, if there is such a thing... four wet patches and one dry and the bore was spotless,,, one wet patch in the breach threads and one dry, it was clean. Sprayed the breach plug with cleaning fluid and ran it under some warm water and that was that... The only tiny thing I can gripe about is the Speed Breach took a little getting use to and my trigger is around 4 to 4 1/2 pounds... but it's one heck of a awesome muzzleloader!!
Old 09-26-2007, 11:07 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: TC Pro- Hunter

Well, I don't know. I saw what the high end Thompson's were costing when I ordered my CVA Wolf for $139.99 last week. I don't think I would want to cough up that much for a muzzleloader that I will probably be using to hunt with for no more than 2-3 days a year. Especially since some of the low-priced guns can shoot pretty darn good themselves from what I have been hearing and seeing. I guess it all depends what we want and are in to. I myself can't justify buying a muzzleloader that will surely shoot 1 1/4 inch or better groups when one can purchase a much cheaper one that will probably do worse, but not worse enough to make any real difference while hunting. And if I find out I don't really like that cheapo gun, or that it's a lemon, it will be NO big deal since it didn't cost much more than a decent pair of shoes or less than what I spend on a normal weeks worth of groceries.

Old 09-26-2007, 11:12 AM

Good setup there.

Doesn't TC advertise these rifles to supposedly have a 3 to 3 1/2 trigger pull? We see cva always taking heat for their triggers but look at the cost difference. This another encore with a heavy trigger and its not a cheap rifle either. I'd have tc adjust it for you. Theres no reason for you to settle for a 4 to 4 1/2 trigger when you paid a hefty price.

Not doing any bashing here, Im just telling you to send it to tc and get what you paid for.
Old 09-26-2007, 02:06 PM
Dominant Buck

Flint head... that sure sounds like a great set up you have there. I am sure that Pro Hunter will be a good rifle for the rest of your hunting days. I would get a fancy inline like that, but I have that T/C Black Diamond XR and the rifle is just no fun to shoot. Where the cross hair is, the bullet hits. So I really do not need a more accurate rifle then that. But half the fun of guns is shooting them. You will have a lot of good days on the range.

Again, nice rifle. No matter what anyone says.
Old 09-26-2007, 02:07 PM
Fork Horn

I think it would probably drop in pull weight as you use it... Sounds like you got a gun you really like there! Congrats! If the pull weight doesn't lighten up any definitely contact TC... THEY WILL take care of you!

As for the other wetblankets... way to bust on a guy just for being excited about his new ML. He didn't come on here and ask if he should have bought or even if he should buy it. He came here to share his excitement! I have never jumped on a guy for buying a CVA after he bought it... because he will know soon enough what he has, good or bad. But if a guy asks ahead of time I will tell him there are better ML's out there and American made to boot!

I can tell you this... I would rather spend the extra money for a Pro Hunter than lose $140 on a CVA...

Of course my ML's also reflect what I believe... a Savage 10MLII and 3 Whites (Super 91, Model 98 Elite Hunter, and a Lightning - my daughter's ML), all have rifle grade barrels.

Old 09-26-2007, 02:36 PM
Boone & Crockett

Judging weight of trigger pull is pretty difficult by feel. We all know when a trigger is light, or heavy, or crisp, of dragging, but it's just a guess when it comes to pounds of pull. If you don't have a trigger pull scale there's an easy way to get an approximate weight. It's a two person job. Connect a gallon jug to your trigger with a loop of string and have someone slowly fill the jug with water until the trigger breaks - then weigh the jug.

Old 09-26-2007, 02:37 PM

First off, i was not attacking him for guying a tc. I think for the price he paid, he should have gotten a better trigger than what he has right now.

Dont jump the gun and start an argument.
Old 09-26-2007, 02:49 PM
Spike

Flint as a fellow encore man, I can say nice job. I got the old encore and the new PH and love'm both. I take two when I go on a hunting trip cause you never know....I am a little anal retentative in that dept. Gotta have my encores!! I got my trigger work done by Bellm and it made a big difference in my groups out at 200yds. I hated the heavy triggerpull of the encores but now that my trigger is at 2 1/2 pds-- big difference. There are some good ML out there but its all about what you like when it boils down to it.

Old 09-26-2007, 03:11 PM
Fork Horn

Your comment on gettting TC to correct any trigger pull issue was good advice, if needed... I just don't recall flint asking for any comparison of a price difference between CVA and TC... I think you may have been bashing off of... err... bouncing off of Steve's comments.

Let the man enjoy his ML... share in his excitement! It is a fantastic feeling gun and everyone I have seen written about seems to shoot almost anything but conicals.
Old 09-26-2007, 03:20 PM

semi, thats pretty funny lol. Im going to try that trick later on and see what i come up with. I think i adjusted my trigger on my traditional rifle to maybe 1 and a half lbs.

Quick Reply: TC Pro- Hunter

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.