Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Pre-shot preperation and How to clean muzzle loader???? >

Pre-shot preperation and How to clean muzzle loader????

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Pre-shot preperation and How to clean muzzle loader????

Old 09-09-2007, 11:49 AM
Fork Horn

Default Pre-shot preperation and How to clean muzzle loader????

Just bought a 50 cal. CVA Buck Horn in-line muzzle loaderthis last Monday. Haven't shot it yet but before I do what preparations do I need to do before loading it and whenit comes time to clean what do I need to do???? Alsodo I need to clean the barrel with a patch between each shot????? I will be using 777 pellets and T/C sabots. Thanks, Scott Woody
Old 09-09-2007, 12:04 PM

Default RE: Pre-shot preperation and How to clean muzzle loader????

Take the entire rifle apart and degrease everything. I use windex for all that and cleaning. Make sure you use breech plug grease or else it will seize up. Also, when you tighten the plug, make sure its only finger tight. It doesnt need a lot of pressure. I'd start with 70 grains pyrodex RS or pyrodex P. A 385 or 410 grain hornady great plains conical should be an excellent shooter. Just make sure your rifle has an actual recoil pad and not that plastic butt pad crap. You "bolt" is easy to clean as im sure you can tell from just looking at it. All you need to do is soak the plunger in hot soapy watet and scrub it with an sos pad.

i use a simple .54 cal bore brush to clean out the breech plug threads and then a bore mop soaked with windex to clean out the threads in the barrel.

Theres no need for you to remove your barrel every time you go to clean it. I only take mine off maybe 3 to 4 times a year to fully clean the rifle.

I shoot a cva staghorn and its pretty much the same as a buckhorn.
Old 09-09-2007, 12:11 PM

You should clean it before you shoot it the first time. It'll give you a good idea how to clean it after shooting.

Solvent patch then bore brush then solvent patchs till they come out clean. then dry patch till try.

Use a 12 or 20 gauge brush to clean out the breech threads. I use solvent patches on the brush. Use a toothbrush on the breechplug. I use a drill bit to get the carbon out of the hole. I use a 1/8" bit. Just turn it in your fingers. You can also use pipe cleaners but they don't do as good a job IMO. They're good after you drill it though.

Wipe off the trigger and dissasemble the bolt/striker. Clean that off well. Then oil everything. Take a oil patch and wipe the exterior of the barrel.

For hunting don't pull the stock and clean the best you can. If you use a good oil you shouldn't have any problems. I don't fully break a gun down from after my final check session till after I'm done hunting.

Now at the range I snap 3 caps, run 3solvent patches down the barrel, then 3 dry patches then load. Between shots I run a solvent patchthen a dry patch.
Old 09-09-2007, 12:27 PM
Fork Horn

Thanks for the info!!!!! I would not have even thought about taking the rifle apart and degreasing. Frontier Gander, should I stay witha low powder chargeor is that just a starting point??? What size powder charge do you currently use??Suggestions on a good oil??? And now a stupid question, How does the 209 primer sit in the breech plug???? Thanks!!!! All info is greatly appreciated. I hope more will reply. Thanks again, Scott Woody
Old 09-09-2007, 01:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

Scott, I believe he is suggesting that as a starting point and that is good advice. You should increase charges up slowly (if needed), in 5 or 10 grain increments, and be careful to stay within the stated maximum. Accuracy will very likely peak at about 90 grains or so.
Old 09-09-2007, 01:38 PM

ORIGINAL: lswoody

Thanks for the info!!!!! I would not have even thought about taking the rifle apart and degreasing. Frontier Gander, should I stay witha low powder chargeor is that just a starting point??? What size powder charge do you currently use??Suggestions on a good oil??? And now a stupid question, How does the 209 primer sit in the breech plug???? Thanks!!!! All info is greatly appreciated. I hope more will reply. Thanks again, Scott Woody
After i put a good recoil pad on my staghorn, i'll up my charge to 80 grains of pyrodex p and leave it right there. Starting off with 70 will be good.
I wouldnt go over 90 grains as the recoil will be a good stiff jolt. I used to use rem oil but now ive stopped oiling my barrel. But when you clean the trigger/ trigger area i use a coat of birch wood casey Molly lube in a spray can, Shake it up good and just a light coating. Keeps rust out and actually helps smooth out the trigger a good deal. If you are the type that likes to oil the barrel, use rem oil in a spray can, coat a patch, run it down the bore a few times and give a few minutes to dry, then run a dry patch down to soak up any extra oil. Its a real simple rifle to clean.
Old 09-11-2007, 11:29 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: lswoody

Greeting Scott, Glad to see you got a muzzy!! Get loose 777 and start about 80g and work up. Oil remington oil. Most muzzleloaders insert the 209 primer in the breech plug, read your manual that came with the gun.
Chap Gleason