Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Shot the new Staghorn! >

Shot the new Staghorn!

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Shot the new Staghorn!

Old 09-05-2007, 04:22 PM

Default Shot the new Staghorn!

I finally got the staghorn in today! After i took it apart and cleaned the barrel, nipple and lubed the breech plug, i went ahead and loaded up 70 grains of pyrodex p and then a 410 gn great plains bullet. First shot at 20 yards was dead center and 4" high, First shot @ 50 was over shot, second shot i aimed at the bottom of my target and sent the conical right through my first shot! After adjusting my sights down to where i want it, its now 2" high at 50 yards and should be close to dead on @ 100 yards. I am going to buy a slip on limbsaver recoil pad for this one. Rifle is in like new condition. I hate to say it, but this rifles trigger is friggen amazing! Zero creep and zero grit! Its like taking a piece of glass and then putting pressure and then it breaks cleanly. The barrel to my surprise does not have a QLA! The great plains took a little more grunt to start, but slid down smooth and shot great. I replaced the front sight with another one that i had and it improved the sight picture a lot better. So far im tickled to death and love the rifle. I think i got my moneys worth out of it lol.
Old 09-05-2007, 04:50 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Shot the new Staghorn!

Pictures!! We want pictures.
Old 09-05-2007, 05:04 PM
Dominant Buck

My CVA Staghorn Magnum has one of the best triggers of all my rifles. Why that thing is so crisp I have no idea. I do not even know who made the thing, but it is just as you described.

I have shot 120 grain loads with sabots but never considered the kick all that bad. What kind of ignition system are you using?

Good luck with the rifle. Also watch that trigger assembly screws, they will wear out. Good luck with your new rifle.
Old 09-05-2007, 05:18 PM
Dominant Buck

these were a few of the pet loads I shot out of the Staghorn Magnum when I was working up loads for the RED DOT. They have excellent accuracy and power. I will have to give the Great Plains a try and see how they do. I have a few boxes of each weight and a case of 385 grain Buffalo Bullet HP conicals to try.
Old 09-05-2007, 06:05 PM

Here she be. This rifle actually took less time to clean than my winchester. Very little blowback. Im using #11 ignition and will stick with it. I will more than likely put on a SS Spitfire #11 nipple just for extra insurance. Will put on a slipover limbsaver recoil pad. Once i get it out to 100 yards, i will decide wheather i will free float the barrel or not.

I just put the scope on for fun, I dont have the nads to load up 70 grains pyrodex p and a 410 gn great plains bullet The recoil with open sights alone was more than enough for my liking. Next thing im going to look for is some liquid epoxy that i can fill the stock with to add some weight to the rifle. The fit and finish is excellent on the rifle, This puts my last staghorn to shame.

Old 09-05-2007, 06:10 PM
Dominant Buck

WOW... very nice looking rifle there Frontier Gander
Old 09-05-2007, 06:12 PM
Boone & Crockett

Got yourself a good'un.
Old 09-05-2007, 06:19 PM

Im getting the itch to go out and shoot it again now that i have it on sight.

Ah what the hell! Be back in an hour or so! 75 yards is where i will start now. As soon as i pull that cheater sight off
Old 09-05-2007, 06:32 PM

You said it was a 2000 model in the other thread right? How come you didn't get the 209 plug that came with ittoo? Used maybe?The 2000 model came with 3 way ignition. My old Hunterbolt was a 2000 model. My wife's cousin and I learned at the same time and his was the same way (same exact model as yours).
Old 09-05-2007, 06:59 PM

Yes, i bought it off the board for $60 and it had maybe 15-20 shots fired through it. IF THAT! this thing was spotless when i got it. Im sticking with #11's. I just finished shooting 75 yards in a light rain and had zero hangfires or any problem. My first shot i flinched BADLY. Second shot i aimed low and hit low " the little weed is plugging my second shot" #3 and #4 were my last shots i took for today @ 75 yards. I dont think i'll be adjusting anything or adding more powder 3-4 hours with the rifle and i already have it sighted in for accuracy. What do you think? A little over an inch @ 100 yards when i shoot tomorrow? Thats what im expecting. Shes a damn good shooter Even with the crummy plastic sights lol. 100 yards will be tomorrows goal!

Quick Reply: Shot the new Staghorn!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.