Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 100 yards finally!!! >

100 yards finally!!!

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

100 yards finally!!!

Old 08-29-2007, 08:29 PM

Default 100 yards finally!!!

http://img98.imageshack.us/my.php?image=fdnbvxn002oe0.jpg

http://img444.imageshack.us/my.php?image=fdnbvxn003mt2.jpg

I finally shot at 100 yards today and put the powders to the test. I practiced with 2 kinds today---Pyrodex(loose powder), and APP sticks.

The first target is of a 1 3/4 inch group with 100 grains of Pyrodex and 250 grain XTP bullets. That was an extraordinary group for me and I would have been more than happy with it even if I had a scope(but I didn't of course). The shot in the left hand corner is my shot with 2 APP sticks(100 grains), and the same bullet, and is not part of the other group. I just threw it in so I could see the difference. APP shoots somewhat higher apparently. My first shot with Pyrodex actually didn't hit the target. I somehow shot the gun unintentionally and wasn't even sighted correctly. I don't know what happened there but it sure as hell scared me. By the way, believe it or not, I didn't swab at all those shots.

Target #2 is a 5 inch group[:@]and is actually the first target I shot today. I used 110 grains of Pyrodex instead of 100 and swabbed EVERY shot. I don't know why that went so bad but it did. I'm not disappointed with it though. I don't think it was me. The shot in the corner is with 2 APP sticks again. I think I had shot two other times withAPP but the shots hit over, which seems to be the norm for that load. I find the difference between APP and Pyrodex very interesting, as well as the fact that 250 grain bullets hit that high, when 300 grain bullets hit 2 inches low.

Pyrodex gets my vote over APP sticks. I don't know if loose APP shoots better but I believe it does, because of the fact that I shot a 3/4 inch group with it a while ago. I'll have to test loose APP against Pyrodex soon, but I'm pretty sure loose is much better than pellets. I did get decent groups with pellets at 50 yards though.

Give me lots of feedback!!!!

Old 08-30-2007, 05:20 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: 100 yards finally!!!

ORIGINAL: outdoorslover

http://img98.imageshack.us/my.php?image=fdnbvxn002oe0.jpg

http://img444.imageshack.us/my.php?image=fdnbvxn003mt2.jpg

I finally shot at 100 yards today and put the powders to the test. I practiced with 2 kinds today---Pyrodex(loose powder), and APP sticks.

The first target is of a 1 3/4 inch group with 100 grains of Pyrodex and 250 grain XTP bullets. That was an extraordinary group for me and I would have been more than happy with it even if I had a scope(but I didn't of course). The shot in the left hand corner is my shot with 2 APP sticks(100 grains), and the same bullet, and is not part of the other group. I just threw it in so I could see the difference. APP shoots somewhat higher apparently. My first shot with Pyrodex actually didn't hit the target. I somehow shot the gun unintentionally and wasn't even sighted correctly. I don't know what happened there but it sure as hell scared me. By the way, believe it or not, I didn't swab at all those shots.

Target #2 is a 5 inch group[:@]and is actually the first target I shot today. I used 110 grains of Pyrodex instead of 100 and swabbed EVERY shot. I don't know why that went so bad but it did. I'm not disappointed with it though. I don't think it was me. The shot in the corner is with 2 APP sticks again. I think I had shot two other times withAPP but the shots hit over, which seems to be the norm for that load. I find the difference between APP and Pyrodex very interesting, as well as the fact that 250 grain bullets hit that high, when 300 grain bullets hit 2 inches low.

Pyrodex gets my vote over APP sticks. I don't know if loose APP shoots better but I believe it does, because of the fact that I shot a 3/4 inch group with it a while ago. I'll have to test loose APP against Pyrodex soon, but I'm pretty sure loose is much better than pellets. I did get decent groups with pellets at 50 yards though.

Give me lots of feedback!!!!
I shot a whole pound of APP about 3 years ago and it wasaccurate and clean shooting powder to begin with. I did notice that it tended to clump, indicating that moisture was making it stick to gether, then when you put it in yourmeasure and the big clumps would take up more room than the smaller 2F powder, so the charge was therefore light by up to 10g I believe. That resulted in less accuracy. I like it's cleanness, but that is what I observed. you can crush it back down, but you can tell it is absorbing moisture. Chap Gleason
Old 08-30-2007, 06:15 AM
Nontypical Buck

I bought some APP/JSG a couple weeks ago. First trip to the range with new powder fresh out of the factory sealed container produced very good groups. Second trip a few days later (and with higher humidity) did terrible. I decidedlast nightto get some of it out totry in one ofmy shotguns today, and had a lump of powder in the container - it had set up like concrete! It broke up with shaking the container, and I'm going to try it in a shotgun. If it lights OK I'll use it up harassing doves & squirrels.
Old 08-30-2007, 07:11 AM
Nontypical Buck

1.75" group with irons sights! Wow!!! I'd be happy wth that as well. Good shooting.
Old 08-30-2007, 08:20 AM
Typical Buck

Outdoors - for some reason I am unable to open your pictures, even on a T1 line. If that was a 5 shot group, frame it! What sabot were you using?
Old 08-30-2007, 01:57 PM
Dominant Buck

for those having trouble opening the pictures, I took the liberty of doing so for you outdoorslover.. hope you don't mind. That is some nice shooting there.
Old 08-30-2007, 04:48 PM

I used my TC XTP Mag bullets(250 grain)that I am very loyal to.

I did notice that the APP gummed up in the barrel very badly. It was extremely moist in the air......

I think I will try to repeat the group today. I have 5 shots left and I'm going to shoot them all. I'll let you know how that goes......The other group is only 3 shots(I was too scared to mess it up)[X(].

Thanks for the compliments
Old 08-30-2007, 06:38 PM

Give triple 7 a shot. I love shooting t7 in my sidelock.