Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

H&R Huntsman

Old 08-29-2007, 11:59 AM

Default H&R Huntsman

I really need some help. Please keep in mind that I'm a novice to the stuff. I was recently given an H&R Huntsman manufactured in 1972. I wasn't given any tools with gun.

I took the nipple off with a half inch socket, but the rest of the breech plug remained in the gun. Is there a tool that should remove it so I can have access to the bore for cleaning?

What type of caps, powder, etc to I look for to get this gun up and firing?

I have already called H&R and they said that the original H&R was bought out by the modern H&R in 1985, so they couldn't assist me other than tell me when the gun was manufactured. Help please. Thanks.
Old 08-29-2007, 12:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: H&R Huntsman

That may be one of the compression fit plugs that used an o-ring to make the seal. The Huntsman was changed to a threaded plug after afew deaths were attributed to that type of plug.I've not owned one so a picture of the plug would help. If it is the compression fit type plug, you may be able to push it out with a good range rod. In any case, make sure that bore is EMPTY.

The folks at Kittery Trading Post have sold a lot of those rifles in the past and probably know the ins and outs of the design. 1-800-USA-GUNS (872-4867)
Old 08-29-2007, 01:11 PM

Thanks for the reply. I'll try calling the number you listed. I've done a little homework since my first post and noticed that the O Ring Breech Plugs were very dangerous. Regarding my Huntsman, I can't tell if is an O Ring or not. I don't see any threads. I've tried twisting and turning it, but not luck. Anyhow, thanks for the help.
Old 08-29-2007, 01:30 PM
Giant Nontypical

I wouldn't shoot it...Wait and get one that won't blow up on you...
They weren't known as great guns...Rememeber every time you load a
muzzle loader, you are making a pipe bomb.......
Old 08-30-2007, 08:51 PM

Took the old girl to a gun smith today, actually two of them, and they both said that the gun had some modifications done to it trying to convert it to a 209 inline gun. The breech plug was a screw in type, and could not be removed. The triger spring needs replaced. When all was said and done, I think we all agreed the Huntsman needs to retire and become a show piece (she still looks pretty). Thanks for everyone's input regarding the matter.
Old 08-30-2007, 09:22 PM
Boone & Crockett

You might check with H&R on the cost (if possible) for them to put a new barrel on it - if not a ML, maybe a 410 shotgun or 22 Hornet.