Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Collectors item?

Old 08-28-2007, 07:45 AM
Typical Buck

Default Collectors item?

I've been shooting the 44 cal Hornady .430 240 XTP's from a box I've had around forover 15 years. These are soft point bullets and my short starter does mar the lead tip, though I doubt it's affected the results. My question is, do they make this bullet anymore? I don't see it on the Hornady site, and, would there be an advantage to using a soft tip hollow point for expansion at the speed I'm shooting this bullet with 90 Pyrodex for taking deer from 50 - 100 yds?
Old 08-28-2007, 07:18 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Collectors item?

Given there have been 30+ "views" and no replies, I'm guessing no ones heard of this bullet. I sent an email to Hornady inquiring and thought you might enjoy a photo of the little bugger. I did find where Remington and Speer each make a bullet like this. No thoughts on expansion merits of the soft nose?

" />
Old 08-28-2007, 07:28 PM

Dont know anything about this bullet but it looks like a nosler. They are soft tipped. By the way, and no disrespect, how the hell old are you?
Old 08-28-2007, 07:41 PM
Typical Buck

Oldrookie - I was born back when boats were made out of wood, and men were made out of steel. Old enough to know better but young enough to try. Probably not as well seasoned as a guy who uses 'old" in his handle.

Hint: I got a draft card but they never needed me for Nam.
Old 08-28-2007, 08:15 PM

ORIGINAL:

Hint: I got a draft card but they never needed me for Nam.
That putsus at about the same age....my class was the last class to register but never drafted.....1973. I was born in 1954. You must just keep stuff longer!
Old 08-28-2007, 08:33 PM
Typical Buck

Pretty close. '57.

I keep stuff pretty much forever. These bullets were given to me by a guy who reloaded his own pistol rounds. He knew I wanted to try some 44 cal. bullets back when sabots were relatively new to the MZ scene. Probably closer to 20 years ago. I shoved one with great effort down my 1:66 CVA back then and frankly, was scared to shoot 'em. Had them ever since.
Old 08-28-2007, 08:35 PM

Let us know what hornady has to say if they respond.
Old 08-28-2007, 08:46 PM
Typical Buck

If. They warn on the site it could take a while. I'll call if I don't hear in a couple of days.
Old 08-28-2007, 09:04 PM
Boone & Crockett

yeoman

You are calling this bullet a "soft point" which it is but it looks like it has cavity (hollow point) in the soft lead nose....

Sierra makes one something like it... but it is a 45 cal...

http://www.sierrabullets.com/index.cfm?section=bullets&page=handgun&cal iberID=27

Speer makes a 44 cal JSP - but it has a true flat top....

http://www.speer-bullets.com/ballistics/bullet_detail.aspx?id=197

Old 08-28-2007, 09:13 PM
Typical Buck

It is a hollow point with exposed lead and they were in the original Hornady box.

Quick Reply: Collectors item?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.