Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Odd Target @ Little Boulder... >

Odd Target @ Little Boulder...

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Odd Target @ Little Boulder...

Old 08-27-2007, 07:59 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default Odd Target @ Little Boulder...

Went out today to finish the tune up on the Remington. Was not going to post anything but this target really promted me to post this one.

These two shot groups were shot the same day from the same rifle, same powder load, same primer, and the same sabot. Different bullet maunfacturers - but same weight same diameter... but look at the results...

Conclusions?

Old 08-27-2007, 08:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Odd Target @ Little Boulder...

Conclusions?
Got any Hornady XTP's for sale - cheap?
Old 08-27-2007, 08:10 PM

sabotloader, I told you my optima sprayed the 250g but not 300g xtp. Doesn't surprise me a bit.
Old 08-27-2007, 08:12 PM
Dominant Buck

That seems strange that the Hornady XTP's would hit that much higher then the Gold Dots. But with the kind of group the Gold Dots get and the overall design of them, they would be my go to bullet.

Do you also shoot the 300 grain Gold Dots? I was wondering how they group, compared to the 250 grain.

[hr]

I was shooting my White Ultra Mag at the 100 yard bench today. I was shooting my usual 70 grains of Triple Se7en 3f and this time a 460 grain Bull Shop in .5045 diameter. They still loaded perfect and without a short starter. Plus I do not swab between shots with the White.

As you can see.. the rifle is sighted in at 70 yards (approximately). On a 50 yard bull I aim to the high center of the bull. I did not expect quite this much drop, but after crunching some numbers I guess this would be about right at 100 yards. I fired ten 500 grain Bull Shopsthenchanging targets. I then fired five of the .5045 at the new target, "fast" to see what a hot barrel would do. I was so impressed I shot five more. The last two, I aimed high a little to see what would happen.
Old 08-27-2007, 08:20 PM
Boone & Crockett

cayugad

Do you also shoot the 300 grain Gold Dots? I was wondering how they group, compared to the 250 grain.
Dang! - I do for elk... I wish I had thought of that then... maybe i will have to go back and consuct that experiment + shoot some 300 grain XTP's

From previous trips out I would tell you the 300's would hit higher than the 250's because of the better BC - but they would form a group easily inside the 250 grain XTP's....

Golly - good - another eason to go shoot - I am telling Terry right now of your suggestion... thanks...
Old 08-27-2007, 08:28 PM
Dominant Buck

Glad to take the blame again for you there....
Old 08-27-2007, 08:48 PM

ORIGINAL: sabotloader

cayugad

Dang! - I do for elk... I wish I had thought of that then... maybe i will have to go back and consuct that experiment + shoot some 300 grain XTP's

From previous trips out I would tell you the 300's would hit higher than the 250's because of the better BC - but they would form a group easily inside the 250 grain XTP's....

Golly - good - another eason to go shoot - I am telling Terry right now of your suggestion... thanks...

Like you needed another reason....LOL It would be interesting to see how the 300g would compare to your above test. The 300g gold dot and 300g xtp were very close for me. Hanging on to the Gold dots for the "big show".
Old 08-27-2007, 09:15 PM
Boone & Crockett

oldrookie

Well, the Remington is sitting right here on the cleaning rack.. Iwas goingto to clean it up and put it away til hunting season... but now I think I will just re-tape the breech plug and nipple - put em back in and go conduct the requested experiment....

The only thing that worries me is Semisane's "Rules of Muzzleloading" especially rule #1 and #7

Old 08-27-2007, 09:25 PM

ORIGINAL: sabotloader

oldrookie

The only thing that worries me is Semisane's "Rules of Muzzleloading" especially rule #1 and #7

You'll get over it......come on and be a team player.
Old 08-27-2007, 09:32 PM
Dominant Buck

Semisane’s Ten Laws Of Muzzle Loading

1. Whatever worked yesterday will not work today.

2. Whatever works for your buddy will not work for you.

3. No matter how much gear you bring to the range, you will need something you left home.

4. Heavier or lighter bullets will probably shoot better than what you are using.

5. Heavier or lighter powder charges will probably shoot better than what you are using.

6. The best muzzle loader to have is one that loads from the muzzle - lock style and ignition methods are not relevant.

7. The more people watching, the worse you will shoot.

8. Dry holes happen (see law #7).

9. You don’t shoot often enough.

10. You need one more gun.

That's why I shoot every day, so those rules do not apply... Sabotloader has a good point though.

Quick Reply: Odd Target @ Little Boulder...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.