Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 What do you use for cleaning patches? >

What do you use for cleaning patches?

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

What do you use for cleaning patches?

Old 08-15-2007, 09:50 PM
Fork Horn

Default What do you use for cleaning patches?

With the cost of everything being what it is…bullets, powder, primers and cleaning supplies…what do you use for you cleaning patches and what do you pay for them? It seems that the price is out of sight and if you are paying 2-3 cents per patch and if you use between 1-3 patches in between shots that can add up fast. Is there a cheaper source for patches or do you cut your own? If you cut your own, what type of material do you use?
Old 08-15-2007, 09:55 PM

Default RE: What do you use for cleaning patches?

i use either old bed sheets or my old white under shirts.
Old 08-15-2007, 09:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

I buy 100% cotton muslin material by the yard. Wash it to remove all sizing, then cut (and/or tear) it into 1.5 - 2" squares. I usually just remove one strip at a time (1.5 - 2" wide X 36" long) and then snip it into squares with scissors.
Old 08-15-2007, 10:40 PM

I just order them...I think I got a pound of precut patches for $8 last time.
Old 08-15-2007, 10:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

I hate to admit it but I've been getting mine for free. I have a brother that works for a chemical plant the use to use 2" patches when cleaning out certain pipes. They no longer use them but have a room full of OxYoke cleaning patches. Every few months my brother asks his supervisor if he can take a bag or two home. He then gives them to me and my other brothers that hunt or shoot to use in our guns. I think I have about 4 or 5 1000 count bags right now in my shop. They come in real handy when shooting 3 or 4 MLers per range session.
Old 08-16-2007, 02:45 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: AZBear

With the cost of everything being what it is…bullets, powder, primers and cleaning supplies…what do you use for you cleaning patches and what do you pay for them? It seems that the price is out of sight and if you are paying 2-3 cents per patch and if you use between 1-3 patches in between shots that can add up fast. Is there a cheaper source for patches or do you cut your own? If you cut your own, what type of material do you use?
I buy 500 2" cleaning patches from RMC Sports for $9 at the Harrisburg Sportsman's show every year. Two packs of 500takes me thru the year.
Chap Gleason
Old 08-16-2007, 03:08 AM
Giant Nontypical

Save money!!!

Buy a flintlock...

Lead...for molding round balls...Free...From dentist...
Loading patches...Cotton ticking $3.00 a yard...
Cleaning patches...Cotton Flannel...$3.00 a yard...
Flints...Free if you knapp your own...$1.00 a piece if not...
Goex FFF...$11.50 a pound...

Old 08-16-2007, 06:00 AM

ORIGINAL: AZBear

Old t-shirts mostly. I have an 8 year old who's growing fast so I have an abundant supply.
Old 08-16-2007, 06:49 AM
Dominant Buck

Old T-shirts, old socks, and Wal Mart sells a 200 count -"bag of patches" for $1.99 so last time there I picked up five more bags.
Old 08-16-2007, 08:11 AM
Nontypical Buck

I been meaning to ask the same question. My son just left for college and he was throwing out some of his old t shirts. I've cut some of them up and they work ok. But, I find the 2inch precut patches I see for sale are slightly thicker and work a lot better. I'm going to check out the fabric stores.

Quick Reply: What do you use for cleaning patches?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.