Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 What do you use for cleaning patches? >

What do you use for cleaning patches?

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

What do you use for cleaning patches?

Old 08-16-2007, 08:51 AM

Default RE: What do you use for cleaning patches?

It depends on the bore diameter. I find thicker patches stick more oftenin tighter bores.
Old 08-16-2007, 01:12 PM
Dominant Buck

In the thin patches, just double that in thickness. It will be a nice tight fitting patch and really removed the crud from the barrel. When I am on the range and the barrel is real fowled, I can normally get away with a single layer patch and it will still work,
Old 08-17-2007, 12:19 AM
Fork Horn

When I first started shooting my Hawken back in '79 I tried using a t-shirt one time and it became stuck in the barrel and I couldn’t move it for anything. I ended up pulling the breach plug to get it out and that was a big deal for me back then. Cost me $20 to have a gun smith take it apart ($20 back then was like $200 today) and clear the problem and ever since I just give a wide birth to t-shirt material. I saw the patches at wal-mart and considered them but they reminded me too much of t-shirt material. The patches I currently have came from Cabelas and were a little pricy for my liking but I do like how they feel and clean the barrel. I'll re-consider the t-shirt material since I can pull my own breach plug now and give it another try. Thanks for all the input...
Old 08-17-2007, 06:36 PM

ORIGINAL: cayugad

Old T-shirts, old socks, and Wal Mart sells a 200 count -"bag of patches" for $1.99 so last time there I picked up five more bags.
same here, except not socks.
Old 08-17-2007, 06:56 PM
Dominant Buck

The mistake a lot of people make when swabbing the bore is they do not have the patch wet enough. We all know you never push a dry patch down a dirty or fowled barrel. If you ever do get a patch stuck in the barrel and it will not move, before you tear the rifle apart, try pouring some alcohol down the barrel. Enough to saturate the patch. Normally you can then pull the patch back out the muzzle.

Also if you have problems even getting a patch started into the muzzle, chances are the patch is too thick or too large. You need to remove it at the muzzle, trim it, re-position it, or change to a different patch. I have used a lot of T-shirts with no problem, even old white cotton socks. But the thing to remember is, if it feels wrong, then do not push it in deeper.
Old 08-17-2007, 08:05 PM
Giant Nontypical

I buy material that is normally used for flannal making sheets and use a roller cutter [got it at the big craft store the wife shops in] used to use it for cutting the strips out of ticking for PBR to but have gone to using a cutter on the drill press to make round patches cause its so much better for quick loaders. Lee
Old 08-18-2007, 05:10 AM
Nontypical Buck

I cut patches out of old t-shirts too. I have used old socks, but I've had them get stuck also. It's a real pain in the butt when that happens. I've even had them hang up with the breech plug out of my inline. It buched up on the threads and I had to tap the ramrod on through with a piece of dowel rod!

If you have an older ML that's hard to get the breech plug out and the ramrod gets stuck while cleaning, you can take a leather sling or bootlace and wrap it around the end of the ramrod with the butt of the gun on theground / floor.Then cinch it tight by pulling to each side usingboth hands till it's super tight. Then pull upward while holding the gun with your knees, or have someone hold onto it. Just watch out! I did thatwith my old T/C Carbine and it slipped off and I busted myself in the face and about broke my nose!!!

chris