Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Finally got it on today >

Finally got it on today

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Finally got it on today

Old 08-15-2007, 07:39 PM

Default Finally got it on today

After the rain storm passed up i took my cva mountain rifle out for some shooting. This time i loaded up with 10 grains 4f powder down the bore first and then 80 grains pyrodex RS and i switched to a .015 patch along with the .530round ball. First shot was 12" low but DEAD center! 2nd, 3ed 4th went off great and it gave me a 3 1/2" group. The pyrodex did foul up my bore a lot faster than triple 7 but i dont get this consistancy with triple 7. When i used triple 7 my first shot would be 10" low, 2nd and 3ed would be right in the bulls eye and every shot after that didnt show up. This was a HUGE relief to finally shoot a 4 shot group and come away happy. I'll need to plan a trip so i can pick up some goex ffg and do my final sight in with that. I also experienced my first ever, humid weather shooting with a flintlock and boy does humidity suck arse! After 2 shots, i had to change my flint because it was soaked and wouldnt spark. 3ed shot i had to dump my prime and wipe dry because it absorbed the moisture so fast and ruined the prime. It was a good experience though, i needed that. Even my rifle rest was cover with a layer of water/bubbles. The smoke when i fired hung in the air for about 5 minutes before fading away. But so far im really happy with the way it grouped and i can only expect better once i switch to goex. Im affraid i will have to wait until next year to shoot something with it, as i will be using my deer creek .45 rifle this year to try out the 225 gn powerbelts.
Old 08-15-2007, 08:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Finally got it on today

Been a while since I shot a flinter, but I used to carry a small bottle of alcohol in wet weather. Take a patch wet with alcohol and wipe the pan & frizzen after each shot, the dry it with another patch. The residue in the pan after you shootwill soak up water like a sponge. If you can keep it clean it helps a lot.