Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
 Finally got him today....  pic >

Finally got him today.... pic

Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Finally got him today.... pic

Old 04-04-2004, 09:17 PM
Spike

Default Finally got him today.... pic

It took a bit of patience but I got my first bird of the season today. I've come extremely close on a couple of occasions, particularly yesterday when I called one to within about 20 yards, but the brush was too thick for a clean shot. But today another one came in. From the morning's roost I heard several but none would come my way when they first flew down. I suppose they had business with other hens. I stayed put on a little ridge above a swamp bottom and creek and continued to randomly call, just to let the gobblers know I was still there. About 45 minutes later I heard a gobbler down in the wet bottom gobbling and looking for me. I called to him a few times until he about shook me out of my boots with a thunderous roar no more than 20 yards away. Still, however, I was unable to see him. I waited quietly thinking surely he would move and let me see him strutting by. Several minutes passed and I still saw nothing so I called to him again and got an instant and powerful response from that same nearby spot where he was before. But this time I finally saw him moving slowly from my left to my right and I popped him with a 3 1/2" #5 shot as soon as I could.
He was a good gobbler but his beard was only 8" while his spurs were 1". His next stop will be on my grill one day this week!

Old 04-04-2004, 09:28 PM
JW
Super Moderator

Default RE: Finally got him today.... pic

Congratulations!....very nice bird - very nice......beards are nice....long suprs are better!

JW!
Old 04-04-2004, 09:33 PM
Typical Buck

...WOW..I WISH ARE WEST VIRGINIA WOODS WERE THAT GREEN,NICE BIRD
......THANKS .....HEY I SEE A DEER RACK AND SKULL IN THAT PICTURE ALSO
HAD TO LOOK TWICE..
Old 04-04-2004, 09:33 PM

congrats on the bird..........
Old 04-04-2004, 09:38 PM
Spike

Default the deer rack

Yes, I found the skull of the dead buck right near where I shot the gobbler. Thought he'd like to be in the picture, too!
Old 04-04-2004, 09:45 PM

Default RE: the deer rack

xtra cool, nothing like getting the virginity out of the way
Old 04-04-2004, 09:53 PM
Spike

If I've lost my "virginity," it's only for 2004! I've killed plenty of birds. I know some girls that wish they could be virgins again with each calender year as well....
Old 04-04-2004, 09:58 PM

ORIGINAL: SpringHillFarms

If I've lost my "virginity," it's only for 2004! I've killed plenty of birds. I know some girls that wish they could be virgins again with each calender year as well....
In turkey hunting, virginity is annual
Old 04-04-2004, 09:59 PM

where in ga are you Springhill? thomasville here
Old 04-04-2004, 10:06 PM
Spike

I live in Albany but my farm is in Terrell County (Bronwood). Thomasville is one of my favorite towns in Ga.

Quick Reply: Finally got him today.... pic

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.