Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

cva optima

Old 08-13-2007, 06:52 AM
Fork Horn

Default cva optima

Just picked up a cva optima with camp thumbhole stock and nickel barrel this weekend. I previously had a old flintlock. I was just wondering what grain you all shoot out your guns. I will be using it for deer only. i figure that a hollow point should be a fine type of sabbot I just dont know much about the grain and what distances i can expect. I wont be shooting more than 125 yards with most shot in the 50-75yrd range. any help would be appreciated
Old 08-13-2007, 07:16 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: cva optima

Congrats on the new rifle. I shot an optima for two seasons and had good luck with it. The one I had liked the 300 gr. Hornady XTP w/ 100 gr. of 777 pretty well. It also did decent with the 348 gr. powerbelt and a 410 gr. Great plains conical.At the distances you stated, the XTP would workwell and not breakthe bank oncosts.
Old 08-13-2007, 07:35 AM
Nontypical Buck

I bought a CVA Wolf which is some what a "version" of the Optima just to see if Muzzeloading is for me. I've shot 250gr Power Belts, 250gr Saber Tooths, 300gr XTP and Knight Red Hots in 250gr. Also going to try some 300gr Red Hots as soon as it cools off. So far I've gotten good groups with about all of them but I've chossen the Knight Red Hots with Crushed Rib Sabotsto hunt with. They are also sold as the Barnes MZ Expanders. I've done some experimenting with the pellet and loose powder, My CVA has been shooting better with100gr Pyrodex pellets. I also use 209 Remington Kleen Bore primers. You'll just have to get different bullets and try them out to see which combination your Optima will shoot. And don't be afraid to ask questions here. I've learned a lot from these guys by reading their posts and posting questions. Good luck.
Old 08-13-2007, 07:51 AM

I have a CVA Optima and it too likes 300g xtp. I have also shot the 300g with the 300g sst. My optima likes anywhere from 90-100g of 777 2F and 777 primers. I also limit my distance to around 100 yards and found these to be excellent loads.

By the way, be careful with the cleaning solvents on that nickel. Don't know which solvent did it, but I have a little staining on mine. I have since changed to butches bore shine for muzzleloaders......its a keeper.

Good luck with the new rifle and have some fun

Boy.......I sure hope the heat breaks soon
Old 08-13-2007, 09:20 AM

Again, congrats on the new CVA - I've been shooting the Optima Pro for 3 seasons now, and have killed 6 does w/ it! I know all the "hoopla" about heavy bullets and magnum powder loads, but honestly, just spend some time @ the range w/ as many different bullets as you can get your hands on. Try every combination you can think of - and keep GOOD records - in 2 or 3 3-shot groups for a good average for each load/bullet combination.

What I've found after much trial and error is that two 777 50/50 pellets (100gr) is the optimum powder load for me, and 200gr ShockWave sabot is the best shooting in my CVA.

I too am not a fan of shooting past about 100 yards or so, simply 'cuz I can't see well past that range, and Nebraska does not allow anything other than 1X scopes on ML's. This powder/bullet combo has cleanly killed all 6 does w/ only one of them runnng off, and that for only about 50 yards due to a good heart shot. My closest was @ 23 yds and the longest @ 78 yds (w/ a rangefinder, of course...) and so if you're gonna be taking relatively close shots, you simply need the best powder/bullet combo for your rifle - you only get one shot, remember!

Good luck!
Old 08-13-2007, 09:29 AM
Typical Buck

I had pretty good luck just playing around with mine this weekend. I just got it and wanted to mess around with it. Got decent groupings with PowerBelt AeroTips in 295 grain using 100 grain of Triple Se7en pellets.

Old 08-13-2007, 12:40 PM

My optima likes 90grn loose pyro, kleenbore primer, and the 250grn(I think)shockwave. I get great groups with a cool, cleanbarrel. I also shot the 200 grain shockwave. I got great groups with it, I just decided to go a little heavier. I've killed deer with both and they both ended up just as dead.

good luck!
RBBH
Old 08-13-2007, 12:52 PM

Shot the 245gr powerbelts(HP) last year with 2 777pellets,going up to the 295gr bullet this year with the same powder.Optima Pro shot the 245's great just want a little more bullet.
Old 08-15-2007, 01:03 PM
Fork Horn

thanks for all your comments guys. The blackpowder forum is one of the most informative forums at hunting net. I will be going to visit my parents in 2 weeks and plan on taking the gun home and messing around with with dad.