Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Pyrodex Selects confusion >

Pyrodex Selects confusion

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Pyrodex Selects confusion

Old 08-09-2007, 02:52 PM
Typical Buck

Default Pyrodex Selects confusion

As Cayugad has pointed out, the difference between Pyrodex RS and Selects is additional screening. I poured a bit of Selects (I've twice had to buy it as a last resort)next to RS and there certainly is additional screening, but not what I would have expected, given Selects is more expensive. The Selects grains are materially larger than the RS.

Given numerous posts here about using 3F over 2F for superior ignition, I would think the larger granules of Selects would (potentially) cause ignition issues relative to RS. (though I have not found that to be the case). Additionally, the larger granules would logically result in lower weight per volume measure (more air space) than smaller granules and so result in lighter charges versus the same volume of RS. All I can figure is that the additional screening provides for greater uniformity of granule size, but am having trouble converting that to an ignition benefit.

What would you guess the benefit of larger, more uniform granules might be? ....or, what would you expect Hogdon to say the benefits are?
Old 08-09-2007, 04:27 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Pyrodex Selects confusion

The benifits of the larger more uniform grains in the select is.. they can charge more money for it.

I have never personally put it over a chronograph so power wise, I have no idea. But for years I fell to they hype of the Select being better until I ran out and all they had was RS. I shot RS that day and could tell no difference in accuracy, ignition time, or power. The only thing I liked better about the RS was the cost of course.
Old 08-09-2007, 05:40 PM
Typical Buck

One benefit I can think of with respect to larger granules could be "less surface area per unit of measure = less negative effects from moisture".
Old 08-09-2007, 07:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

Never had the urge to try select when regular R/S has been plenty accurate and dependable. I've used R/S in my inlines for years now and it has outperformed most of the "replica" powders I've tried. In my T/C caplock .50NewEnglander it's dependable & accurate, but in the NewEnglander 12ga I've had a few hangfires with it. A Ben Hubbard "Mag Spark" 209 conversion nipple solves the problem of hangfires with the 12ga, but I usually just use Goex ffg BP and a musket nipple on that barrel.
Old 08-09-2007, 07:50 PM
Boone & Crockett

yeoman

Back in the day, when i was using Pyro's - it was my understanding that "Select" was screened to provide a more uniform granual. With each granual being uniform with it's neighbor - you were suppose to get a more consistent pressures each time you pull the trigger because everything was the same- therefore better accuracy????

But i have already been wrong a couple of times today

Old 08-10-2007, 07:28 AM
Typical Buck

I have gotten my tightest groups in inlines with the select over ,rs and t-7.But all rifles are different.
A good example of different rifles is I was helping a fellow set up a rem muzzleloader a couple years ago and we tried t-7,select,rs,clean shot and it wouldn't group very well.For some reason he had a can of pyro pistol powder in his box so I told him to try that with a 100 grs (he was shooting the sst's in 250 grs)it couldn't hurt nothing else was working to good.He did and shot a 3-shot one hole group twice in a row.
Brother bought a omega last year and some t-7 helped him set it up.we tried 80 to 120 grs and the 250 sst and it wouldn't group at all,tried pyro select at 100 grs and shot a group less than an inch.Both these examples were at 100yds.
Bottom line is let the rifle tell you what it likes,especially if you want tiny groups.