Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 CVA Optima Elite - Input wanted. >

CVA Optima Elite - Input wanted.

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

CVA Optima Elite - Input wanted.

Old 08-09-2007, 09:52 AM
Typical Buck

Default CVA Optima Elite - Input wanted.

So I have the rest of the week off starting today and made an impulse decision to offload my Mossberg 835 TTS. Going down to the local used gun shop, I was presented the age old question "Sell or trade?". Hmmm? The old gears started spinning. So, I went on trade.

I considered going centerfire, then said, "What the hey! I've never been muzzleloading before. Let's do that!". Yeah, I'm pretty impulsive like that. Ends up, I got a CVA Optima Elite. The biggest factor for me was the interchangable barrel system of going from ML to rifle.

So, with that in mind...what's your opinions of the CVA Optima Elite? Did I make a good choice? Was I foolish? How do you like it? How's the maintenance on it (cleaning, etc.)?

Thanks!

Old 08-09-2007, 10:35 AM

Default RE: CVA Optima Elite - Input wanted.

Congrats on the new purchase. I have a standard optima muzzleloader only. Go to Graybeards Outdoors Forum; there is a thread for optima elite owners. They can clue you in on the different barrels available and loads. From what I have read, the Elites have the new bargara barrels which are excellent.

Good luck and have fun!
Old 08-09-2007, 11:08 AM
Typical Buck

I don't own one, but I've heard good reports in the accuracy department from guys that do.
Old 08-10-2007, 03:19 PM
Fork Horn

Eh dixon im not sure on the gun i just bought one and is on its way but hear nothing but good on it. I got so next yr i can go moose hunting with it next yr and man i cant wait till next yr. But for this yr ill muzzle loader with it and cant wait for that as well.
Old 08-10-2007, 03:41 PM
Dominant Buck

While opinions vary in any brand or model muzzleloader you consider or purchase, I am sure you will be happy with the CVA Optima Elite. Kind of late to change your mind anyway at this point. It must have fit you well when you shouldered it at the gun shop. The trigger pull must have been good too. So if the rifle fit is good and the trigger is good, half the battle is there. Then it is a matter of barrels. My understanding is the Elite has a good barrel on it.

That rifle with care should last you a life time. I shoot an old CVA Staghorn Magnum and for what I paid for it, that rifle should be junk.. yet it will shoot right along with the rest of the pack. You Elite is the top of the line there. I am sure it will be great.

Read the manual that comes with it from end to end. Pay close attention to load recommendations and stick with them. Also be sure and give the rifle a good cleaning before heading to the range. Any questions you might have, ask before you go to the range and make a mistake. There are no silly questions.

I would get some Powerbelts, some Shockwaves, and some XTP's to try. something in the 250-300 grain range with the sabots and 245 - 295 grain Powerbelts for starters. If you want to use loose powder (which is a good choice IMO) get some Triple Se7en 2f or some Pyrodex RS. Start with 90 grains of loose powder and see how the projectiles shoot. Swab the barrel between shots when on the range for the best accuracy. Work the powder up 10 grains at a time until the groups fall apart. This is the best way to work up a load. If you are going to be a pellet shooter, then two pellets is a good starting point.

One other thing to remember.. many new rifles (although not as common today) might not shoot consistant out of the box. They take time to break in. So make your first range session one of enjoyment. Don't expect 1" groups. If you get them all the better, but instead take your time, learn your rifle, the trigger, the sights, etc and just have fun.

Be sure and keep us posted as to how well the rifle works for you, and how much fun you're having..