Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Whitetail / Muzzle Velocity / Penetration >

Whitetail / Muzzle Velocity / Penetration

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Whitetail / Muzzle Velocity / Penetration

Old 08-06-2007, 08:31 AM

Default RE: Whitetail / Muzzle Velocity / Penetration

Thanks for all of the great information guys. I would have replied quicker but my internet was down last night. I talked to him this morning at work and he told me that when he first got the rifle he did try 100 grains but he doesnt remember the bullet he was shooting. He shot a nice buck at a very close distance and hit him in the shoulder. The buck ran off and when he went to find him he got the deer back up and had to shoot him again. He did end up getting the deer but went to 150 grains with terrible acccuracy in favor of penetration. I told him that it was probably the bullet and to try some of my Shockwaves or TMZ's and lets see what kind of accuracy he can get with them next weekend. It may have been a bullet that has a tendancy to fragment at close range. I'm trying to talk him into loose powder also. That way if the bullets dont shoot as accurately he can tailor his power charge to it. He is a bit reluctant, but will probably come around since he likes the idea of getting more shot for his dollar.

Thanks again,

Holley
Old 08-06-2007, 09:11 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: XxHolleyxX

Thanks for all of the great information guys. I would have replied quicker but my internet was down last night. I talked to him this morning at work and he told me that when he first got the rifle he did try 100 grains but he doesnt remember the bullet he was shooting. He shot a nice buck at a very close distance and hit him in the shoulder. The buck ran off and when he went to find him he got the deer back up and had to shoot him again. He did end up getting the deer but went to 150 grains with terrible acccuracy in favor of penetration. I told him that it was probably the bullet and to try some of my Shockwaves or TMZ's and lets see what kind of accuracy he can get with them next weekend. It may have been a bullet that has a tendancy to fragment at close range. I'm trying to talk him into loose powder also. That way if the bullets dont shoot as accurately he can tailor his power charge to it. He is a bit reluctant, but will probably come around since he likes the idea of getting more shot for his dollar.

Thanks again,

Holley
Wiith regard to more shot for the $$, go smokeless, 44g of Accurate Arms is what I shoot in my Savage 10ML, so I get 2 shot for every 1 shot of a standard ML. Also Savage is a very accurate ML out of the box, 1.5" at 100 yards with XTP 300 or 250g, which are also inexpensive bullet.

I don't mean to start a PowerBelt war again, (I did that last year and it is easy to go there), but if you want to revisit PB fragmentation issues and high charged loads with not well constructed bullets read this:

http://www.the-gleasons.com/powerbelt_page.htm

An XTP or an SST will shead it's jacket if pushed too hard, so shots at close range make it loose the jacket and loose penetration, therefore affecting terminal performce--bone hits at close range are a especially big problem forsome bullets.

Finally, on penetration, bullet performance, fragmentation see this page:
http://www.the-gleasons.com/bullets_penetration_tests_for_mu.htm

Buy this book and read it several times, pay special attention to how various authors feel about expansion vs penetration:
http://www.ramworks.net/estore.html

Bullet Design is not quite a science, it is more about design at a given velocity for a given species. In fact Toby Bridges says use two bullets (one for the long range one for short range):

http://www.hpmuzzleloading.com/EditorsView.html

However most of us don't do that, we choose a bullet based on what shoots well with our gun and use it in all situations. The solution have 2 guns one for long range, like my Savage (SW or Parker Ballistic Extremene, 44g of 5744, supplied sabot, Federal Primer), and one for <100 yards which is my Omega with 100g of 777, 300g Nosler Partition, Federal Primer using Crushed Rib sabot.

Best wishes are you increase your learing on Bullet Performance.

Chap Gleason

Old 08-06-2007, 01:19 PM
Fork Horn

I used (2) Pyrodex pellets and a 300 grain bonded T/C Shockwave to take a doe last ML season in IL using my Omega. I am guessing the MV was 1500-1600 fps give or take. It was a complete pass through from approx. 80 yards (stepped off) with a great blood trail. If anyone has not tried Shockwaves, I would strongly recommend them. They are quite accurate as well.
Old 08-06-2007, 01:24 PM

ORIGINAL: frontier gander
Some need to learn to back off the powder. This 150 grain mag load is way over rated and not needed.
Yes, but my modern scoped inline willperform like a centerfire with maximum loading. After all, that is the only reason why I got all these inlines is so I can shoot deer at 300 yards and ruin hunting for a certain group of guys. My one goal in life is to ruin their hunting experience, it really has nothing to do with what I enjoy.
Old 08-06-2007, 01:31 PM
Boone & Crockett

You're a cruel, cruel man, cascadedad.
Old 08-06-2007, 01:48 PM

why not just go with one of them 1000 yard shooting blackpowder sharps rifles? my sidelock is set up for 150 yards so far Going to do the final dial in as soon as my bullets come in.
Old 08-06-2007, 02:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: cherokee75

I used (2) Pyrodex pellets and a 300 grain bonded T/C Shockwave to take a doe last ML season in IL using my Omega. I am guessing the MV was 1500-1600 fps give or take. It was a complete pass through from approx. 80 yards (stepped off) with a great blood trail. If anyone has not tried Shockwaves, I would strongly recommend them. They are quite accurate as well.
They work well in my gun for accuracy:
http://www.the-gleasons.com/TC_Shockwave_300g_2007_06_02_AA5744_44g_FederalPri mer_default%20sabot.jpg

I may use them this year for hunting, I may use the Parker Ballistic Extreme--both are accurate in my new Savage. I hear the bonded shoot thru a deer with no expansion, that they are more an elk bullet. Some on this forum take a high shoulder shot to help the SW open up. Is that your experience also? Chap Gleason

Old 08-06-2007, 02:37 PM

Great shot sabotloader! I love Partitions in my centerfires. I need to check them out in theT-Bolt now. Thanks for sharing the pic since I wasnt around to see it the first time.

Holley

Old 08-06-2007, 03:30 PM

That was definitely a great shot on such a small target.
Old 08-06-2007, 07:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: cascadedad

That was definitely a great shot on such a small target.
It is a big target for him, he shoots clay pigeons at the rock pit with his ML, not thrown of course, but standing still, my guess is that they are 4", but he is hitting them or shooting rocks up in front of them and beaking them. Chap Gleason

Quick Reply: Whitetail / Muzzle Velocity / Penetration

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.