Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Post your shot group pics here... >

Post your shot group pics here...

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Post your shot group pics here...

Old 07-31-2007, 09:18 PM

Default Post your shot group pics here...

Hi Guys,

I just got into muzzleloading...been hunting 30 years with the bow otherwise...I've been getting 2" to 3" inch groups out of my new stainless omega with 3 pellets of 777 and 250 grain shockwaves...I also tried 2 pellets with the same bullet with the same results...I was kinda hoping that I would be cloverleafing 3 to 5 shot groups at that distance...Are my expectations to high? Any suggestions for tightening up the groups? I allready blew off about 100 rounds...Oh by the way, I have been swabing between every shoty 1 wet patch 2 dry...and have been shooting off a very solid bench rest..
Thank you in advance for any suggestions...
Old 07-31-2007, 10:32 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Post your shot group pics here...

firearms are like people, some like one thing while others like somethingcompletelydifferent. My advice is to switch to loose powder and experiment with different bullets, bullet weights and powder charges. You'll eventually find something your riflereally likes. It's just going to take some time at the range.

These two groups were shot out of my Knightrolling block using a 250 gr.Barnes expander and 110 gr ofloose, FFF triple seven. I plan on heading back to the range soon to tweek the charge a bitand try acouple of different bulletsso see what else maybe shoots well. It's always nice to have options.
Old 07-31-2007, 10:33 PM
Dominant Buck

Is this a scoped rifle? A lot of times a rifle takes time to break in or the shooter time to get used to the rifle but it sounds like you covered all that. I would suggest some loose powder. Start at 90 grains, shoot a group, and then swab. If you're not happy, add five grains and shoot another group. Also don'r forget to try bullets other then a Shockwave. Maybe some XTP's, Gold Dots, Nosler, Barnes, even powerbelts...

Welcome to the forum and good luck.
Old 07-31-2007, 10:36 PM

Your gun should like 300 grain XTP Mag bullets and 110 grains American Pioneer Powder. Mine can shoot a 3/4 inch group at 100 yards with open sights.

experiment, experiment, experiment......
Old 08-01-2007, 05:19 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: gl79149

Hi Guys,

I just got into muzzleloading...been hunting 30 years with the bow otherwise...I've been getting 2" to 3" inch groups out of my new stainless omega with 3 pellets of 777 and 250 grain shockwaves...I also tried 2 pellets with the same bullet with the same results...I was kinda hoping that I would be cloverleafing 3 to 5 shot groups at that distance...Are my expectations to high? Any suggestions for tightening up the groups? I allready blew off about 100 rounds...Oh by the way, I have been swabing between every shoty 1 wet patch 2 dry...and have been shooting off a very solid bench rest..
Thank you in advance for any suggestions...
It is the bullet and sabot that makes the biggest difference, apparently you gun doesn't like the 250g SW. Try the 300g SW. I have tried 8 bullets in my new Savage 10ML and the results are here:

http://www.the-gleasons.com/this_is_my_savage_10_ml_page.htm

Of the 8 bullets tried, the 300g SW gave the best group followed by the 275g parker Ballistic Extreme. You need a tight sabot, but not so tight it can't get down a dirty barrel. Loose sabots shoot all over the place.
Chap Gleason

Old 08-01-2007, 05:23 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Chris W.

firearms are like people, some like one thing while others like somethingcompletelydifferent. My advice is to switch to loose powder and experiment with different bullets, bullet weights and powder charges. You'll eventually find something your riflereally likes. It's just going to take some time at the range.

These two groups were shot out of my Knightrolling block using a 250 gr.Barnes expander and 110 gr ofloose, FFF triple seven. I plan on heading back to the range soon to tweek the charge a bitand try acouple of different bulletsso see what else maybe shoots well. It's always nice to have options.
1 1/4 and 1 1/8 are excellent groups and the Barnes Expander is one great bullet. I wish my new Savage shot the Barnes TMZ 290g as well as your's does the Expander. I agree it is nice to have options. You always have the Barnes Expander to "fall back on" it you don't find a more accurate bullet. I think it is going to be hard to beat that bullet and that group, you might do it with a SW.
Chap Gleason
Old 08-01-2007, 05:59 AM
Giant Nontypical

Your gun will clover leaf at 100...Throw away the sabots and get some loose powder, start with 90 grains and go up in 10 grain increments...Find the sweet spot with the powder charge and then tweek the powder charge up and down in 5 grain increments...
Old 08-01-2007, 07:51 AM
Nontypical Buck

Heres a 50 yard group from my CVA Wolf, target was a 6 inch "shoot n c". Pretty tight......roughly 3 inches highat 50

50yrds
100gr Pyrodex pellets
250gr Kight Red Hot
Crushed Rib sabot
209 Rem Kleen Bore

Old 08-01-2007, 07:53 AM
Nontypical Buck

Same everything only at 100 yards. Started with a clean barrel, no swabbing between shots. First three in the center next three started to open up.

Old 08-01-2007, 11:37 AM
Typical Buck

[blockquote]quote:

ORIGINAL: Chris W.

[/blockquote]

1 1/4 and 1 1/8 are excellent groups and the Barnes Expander is one great bullet. I wish my new Savage shot the Barnes TMZ 290g as well as your's does the Expander. I agree it is nice to have options. You always have the Barnes Expander to "fall back on" it you don't find a more accurate bullet. I think it is going to be hard to beat that bullet and that group, you might do it with a SW.
Chap Gleason

I agree, from what I've heard and read, the Barnes expander is going to be hard to beat from a terminal performance perspective. Especially combined with the charge it's sitting on top of and the groups that theload is turning out. By nomeans would Ifeel ill equipped taking that load into the woods comeFall and, chances are, it will be my hunting load this year. I just like toexperiment and it's nice to have a few different loads to choose from, if finding a particular bullet becomes difficult. I'm hoping to find a good heavy conical load as well.

Quick Reply: Post your shot group pics here...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.