Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Post your shot group pics here... >

Post your shot group pics here...

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Post your shot group pics here...

Old 08-01-2007, 11:47 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Post your shot group pics here...

After 100 shots with sabot loads, I wouldthink it would be time to give the bore a thorough scrubbing with something capable of removing plastic deposits. Try 90 grains loose FFg T7 and save some money. Work your charge upward in small increments until you reach a point where accuracy goes south. I'm not much for sabots but plain ol' Hornady XTPs in correctly fit sabots are not only much cheaper than the pre-packaged stuff, you can try several different sabots to find the one that loads easiest while still producing good accuracy.

Another think you might check is the fit of the metal to the stock. It should be nice and even with no points exhibiting more pressure than others. Small tweaks can make large differences so change only one variable at a time before testing.

ChrisW noted that rifles have individual tastes so don't expect your buddy's load to work best for you (even though it might).
Old 08-03-2007, 04:51 PM

here's mine today from my Encore. 2 50 gr App sticks, a 250 gr TC Shockwave and 777 209 primer. This was @ 100 yards.

Old 08-03-2007, 08:06 PM
Typical Buck

Knight disc 45 calber couple years ago:

Encore couple years ago first pic,second pic same rifle last year

And I sold both rifles last year.
Old 08-03-2007, 09:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

Here is a 75 yard 3 shot group of 460 No Excuse over 70gr of 777 3F from my Lyman GPH using peep sights. It measured .780 from one side to the other making it a .280 center to center group. The dot is 2" in diameter.

This is one of the best groups I've ever shot, even with a scoped rifle.
Old 08-03-2007, 10:36 PM
Fork Horn

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v1...ef909/mike.jpg

White Lightning at 75 yards scoped. 496gr NEW conical, 70gr T7 3F, wool lubed wad and RWS 1075+ caps.
Old 08-03-2007, 10:45 PM

Nim, I hope I can shoot a group like that out of my Lightning tomorrow. We'll see.
Old 08-04-2007, 11:31 AM
Dominant Buck

This is what my White Ultra Mag will do with a 1X scope on it at 50 yards.

This was off a one bag rest. I was sighting in the new scope and wanted to shoot without swabbing the barrel. I was shooting 70 grains of Triple Se7en 3f powder and a 500 grain BullShop Conical. A #11 cap ignited all of this. After shooting ten shots (without swabbing at the center) I then tried to kiss the corner bulls with shots.

I figure this is plenty good for hunting here in Norther Wisconsin where my shots will run about 50 yards or less.
Old 08-04-2007, 12:18 PM
Typical Buck

Cayugad,I would say those are more than plenty good.With groups like that they should be good out to 100 also.
dmurphy,that is one fine group also.Its been many many years since I have used a big conical to hunt with but I know they sure do work.
Took more than a few with round balls too.
I guess that I have just gotten too modern,I love shooting the savage with smokless at the rangeso that is what I hunt with mostly.
Old 08-04-2007, 12:35 PM

I looked and looked but can't find any groups from last fall. I haven't shot any since hunting season.These are some groups I shot a couple years ago. The one on the left was my hunting load while the other two were test loads.

Old 08-05-2007, 09:45 AM

Shooting a Knight T-Bolt with 3x9x40 Bushnell Elite 3200, Front bench rest and rear rabbit ears. Now I'm not getting the one holers like some of you but I got three different bullets shooting under 1 3/8" @ 100 yds. I'm extremely pleased with these results. I didnt take home the last target as one shot was outside the paper but still grouped well. That was the 250 ShockWave with 90 grains of loose 777 2F. These two are the 240 XTP with 80 grains of 777 2-F and the Spitfire TMZ 250 @ 120 grains 777 2-F. Both groups are under 1 3/8". Thanks to everyone for their help, tips, and advice! p.s. sorry for the blurry one

Holley

Quick Reply: Post your shot group pics here...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.