Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Knight EZ load sabots >

Knight EZ load sabots

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Knight EZ load sabots

Old 07-25-2007, 03:44 PM
Fork Horn

Default Knight EZ load sabots

I bought a pack of these to try in my new Knight Disc Elite in the 250 grain Red Hots ( Barnes Expander MZ ). With a load of 3 777 pelletsI was getting terrible results about 2 1/2 inch groups at 100 yards and I know this gun is better than that... I got to looking and the sabot petals were blown clean off,,, all the MMP's I have everused looked perfect after the shot. Also when I cleaned the gun I was getting a good bit of copper fouling on the patches??? It seems to me that the sabots were self destructing upon ignition and the Barnes copper bullet being undersized for the bore was bouncing around before going down range causing the poor accuracy. I going back to the range soon with the Barnes loaded in some HPH12's... hopefully this is the fix!
Old 07-25-2007, 04:56 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Knight EZ load sabots

The only reason I ever go to an easy glide,crushed rib harvester, HPH-24, what ever brand easy to load sabot is if the standard sabots load too hard. There are some sabots that are near impossible to load with certain projectiles in some rifles. If they are not hard to load, why go to an easy glide. Granted, nothing wrong with trying them out and seeing if they help or what, but that is basically what you learned.

A good example, a Hornady SST with the sabot that comes with it, will hardly load in my Black Diamond. The Shockwave on the other hand with a thinner sabot not only load properly but are very accurate.

As for the petals breaking off.. that is not as uncommon as you might think. Many of the sabots I shoot like the blue 10mm MMP loose petals. I do not see a difference in accuracy mind you. I wonder if the sabot might not be designed to do just as you noted...
Old 07-25-2007, 07:26 PM
Fork Horn

What puzzles me is the copper fouling in the barrel... my thinking is that the barnes bullet should not be able to touch the bore if the sabot was working properly???
Old 07-25-2007, 07:41 PM

is those were sabots, what the heck would copper be doing in the barrel? They are supposed to stay in the sabot until it exits the barrel. I dont it would be smart to use those anymore. that just doesnt sound right.
Old 07-25-2007, 09:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

What are you using for a bullet aligner when you seat the bullets in the rifle?? Some bullet aligner's do not fit the bullet tip. Some impact the petals, and could be tearing the petal's. You could also be seating the bullet's improperly.

IMO alot of damage can be done to bullets during seating, and again IMO seating is very important to accuracy. I use a drill stop on my range rod to determine seating depth. The drill stop makesthe exact seating depth every time. Tom.
Old 07-25-2007, 09:36 PM
Boone & Crockett

I use a drill stop on my range rod to determine seating depth. The drill stop makesthe exact seating depth every time.
Now, that is an interesting idea.
Old 07-25-2007, 09:45 PM
Spike

That's true it could be your bullet aligner. If the petals of the sabot stick up high enough to contact the loading jag the petals could be pulled loose while you seat the bullet. I just bought a spinjag loader and they have a warning on the label. At any rate it sounds like your bullet is contacting your barrel somehow.Check to see if this coud be the problem.
Old 07-26-2007, 05:19 AM
Fork Horn

I don't think there is any problems in the loading process... I'm going to try to make it to the range today and try the exact same load and bullet with some HPH12's... even if there was a loading issue it still would not explain all that copper fouling??
Old 07-26-2007, 03:11 PM
Fork Horn

Ok guys it's not the EZ load sabots fault... I put one of the Barnes in a HPH 12 and all most busted a gut trying to load it,,, so then I loaded the bullets in HPH 24's,,, this shot like crap... maybe it's the bullet, maybe it's the heavy load I don't know. My next trip to the range with the Knight will be with 100 gains of 777 fffg and a 250 grain shockwave... I sure do hope this works out,,, I'm feeling kind of bad for buying the disc elite and cheating on TC... my Omega is whooping this things butt so far... that's whatI get for being a cheater...
Old 07-26-2007, 03:28 PM

Why not give a conical a try? powerbelt, maxiball or hunter, great plains conical.

Quick Reply: Knight EZ load sabots

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.