Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Knight EZ load sabots >

Knight EZ load sabots

Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Knight EZ load sabots

Old 07-26-2007, 03:48 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Knight EZ load sabots

flint head

I bought a pack of these to try in my new Knight Disc Elite in the 250 grain Red Hots ( Barnes Expander MZ ). With a load of 3 777 pelletsI was getting terrible results about 2 1/2 inch groups at 100 yards and I know this gun is better than that...
Reading down through some of these post - the thing that stands out for me the most is the word NEW Knight.... 2 1/2" in a 100 out of a NEW barrel really is not that bad. Get a 100 rounds thru it then judge it. Barnes are awfull good bullets and the sabots are made by MMP so I think the combination is correct - although I gotta tell ya... Noslers are better bullets - just my opinion!!!

Might try something in that Knight if I can suggest - contact Cayugad have him give you his technique for polishing a barrel with JB's bore paste. Your lands and grooves will benefit...

Just as a side note - I shoot 100/110 grains of T7-2f and get really very good accuracy.

Good luck - mike

Old 07-26-2007, 04:16 PM
Fork Horn

Mike, I have some 300 grain PP Partions here at the house... I'll give them a try also... I'm sure I'll have to go with the HPH 24's though, the bore on this gun is really tight. I also bought a pack of 300 grain XTP's the other day at Wal-Mart,,, so I'll play around with it... maybe I'm expecting to much to soon? My Omega has been a MOA gun right from the start with max loads of 777 and a 250 SW... guessI got spoiled.
Old 07-26-2007, 06:59 PM
Boone & Crockett

flint head

I have some 300 grain PP Partions here at the house... I'll give them a try also... I'm sure I'll have to go with the HPH 24's though, the bore on this gun is really tight.
The 300 grain PP are a very good shooting bullet. They have a higher BC than a lot of people think (.232). The 24's should work but if it is really tight you might need to go to HPH-3p-EZ load sabots or even the "Crush Rib' but I really do prefer the 3p. I have some here from some testing I was doing for MMP - so if you need a few to try let me know....

My Omega has been a MOA gun right from the start with max loads of 777 and a 250 SW... guessI got spoiled.
My Omega is a shooter also but I do not use pellets - most often I shoot 100 grains of T7-2f and it is really effective and accurate. I do shoot 110 grain with the 10mm 200 grain XTP's.

Not trying to hurt anyone's feelings but the is a difference in an Optima and an Omega and that is not not to say that an Optima is bad. But with the Optima I would almost bet you shooting it will improve it.

I am still kinda leaning to the theory that the Optima is cutting the sabots a bit on the way in and on the way out - when you get the barrel smoothed out - I bet everything will come together.... What scopedo youhave on the Optima? And another thing what was the temp when you shot the 2 1/2 group?

just thinking out loud...

mike
Old 07-27-2007, 09:43 AM
Fork Horn

Mike, I don't have a Optima... the gun I'm trying to work up a load for is a Knight Disc Elite... supposedly one of the most accurate muzzleloaders out their.I can tell you this, mine does not like 3 777 pellets and the 250 Barnes MZ. Big daddy ain't shootin no CVA...[8D]
Old 07-27-2007, 10:19 AM
Boone & Crockett

flint head

all I can say to that is GOOD! Where in the world did I come up with "OPTIMA" - to many days working an not enough days retiring like I am suppose to be....
Old 07-27-2007, 10:33 AM
Giant Nontypical

I have owned a Knight Disc for several years, the pet load is 100 grains of Pyrodex R-S or 100 grains Goex FFF and a 300 gr Barnes...the 250 doesn't group as well...

I called Knight back with they were Knight, they told me if a Knight would not group the 300 with 100 grains then to send it back...

Before lapping a barrel, etc, make sure you try several different combos...
Sometimes it takes alot of work to get a muzzzleloader to print under
1 1/2 inches at 100 yards, but I have seen several that would do this...

Also...clean the barrel between each shot and lightly oil, this will help with loading...

PS...Throw the dang pellets away...You are handloading, and need to be able to vary the loading to fine tune your rifle...Also, there is no need to shoot 150 grains of anything in your rifle, most preform best with 90-110 grains or so...
Old 07-27-2007, 08:27 PM
Fork Horn

Instead of 150 grains, try 130 grains----1-30gr. pellet, and 2-50gr. pellets and you can expect greater accuracy... You'll be surprised!!! Use the same sabot and bullet combo. My fellow clubmates and i had experienced the exact same thing as yourself and with some experimentation we came to this conclusion....... I promise you, it will help tremendously!!!!!!!!!!!!!!