Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

sights and scope

Old 07-24-2007, 05:33 PM

Default sights and scope

i put a new scope on my gun a while back.shoots good.i did not take my front sight off.i can see the sight through the scope.it really dont bother me.but should i take it off. thanks you all.
Old 07-24-2007, 05:36 PM

Default RE: sights and scope

if its a distraction, yes take it off. I can barely see the front sight when i have a scope on my rifle, but i just deal with it. I cant hunt with a scope so theres to need for me to remove the front sight.
Old 07-24-2007, 05:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: bear6

i put a new scope on my gun a while back.shoots good.i did not take my front sight off.i can see the sight through the scope.it really dont bother me.but should i take it off. thanks you all.
Yes, it blurrs the bottom of the scope as you look thru it distracting you.
This happen to me, I took mine off, much better. I didn't have a screw to close the hole so I just put the one I took of the front sight back in until I get one from a gun shop. Chap Gleason
Old 07-24-2007, 06:50 PM
Dominant Buck

I am going to go the other way with this point of view. Normally you will only see, or indication of,the front sight on very low magnification settings. I just learned to ignore it. On the higher settings I never notice the sights. I have all myrifles with sights still on. On my White Ultra Mag, when I have my 1X scope on, I can see the front sight plain as day. There are times I have (for fun)checked the cross hair alignment of the scope to the front sight on the target range. Other wise I just ignore it.

I was talking to a gunsmith friend of mine about this very issue. I told him to take the sights off my White Ultra Mag. He then said he tries to talk people out of that. He went on to tell of his friend and him were hunting out west. His friend fell down and some how ended upknocked the scope all out of line.Instead of ending his hunt for the day and maybe the trip, he took the scope off and hunted with the open sights.

The thing you need to remember, if you pull that scope fill in the mounting holes with the proper screws. The only reason removing the front sight is nice is.. how many have pushed a sabot into the barrel only to have it suddenly slip down and you smash your fingers into the front sight. That can even draw blood. Other then that, I ignore it.
Old 07-24-2007, 07:27 PM
Boone & Crockett

bear6

i put a new scope on my gun a while back.shoots good.i did not take my front sight off.i can see the sight through the scope.it really dont bother me.but should i take it off.
Same here but it does not interfer with anything I am doing so I leave them on...