Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

BP availability?

Old 07-20-2007, 09:36 AM
Typical Buck

Default BP availability?

I'm going south on holidays in a week or so and am wondering if BP is regularly stocked in most Sporting goods stores in the US?I'll be in SD,ND,WYand MT camping etc...................usually go down every couple years to stock up on reloading supplies.we're allowed 8kg of powder ,5000 primers and 5000 loaded rds of ammo and all of the above cost 1/2-2/3's of what we pay for it in Canada.Looking foreward to seeing the Blackhills and Yellowstone again havn't been there since 1990 shortly after the fire.........Harold [what's the best brand if I find some?]
Old 07-20-2007, 10:22 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: BP availability?

ORIGINAL: Pioneer2

I'm going south on holidays in a week or so and am wondering if BP is regularly stocked in most Sporting goods stores in the US?I'll be in SD,ND,WYand MT camping etc...................usually go down every couple years to stock up on reloading supplies.we're allowed 8kg of powder ,5000 primers and 5000 loaded rds of ammo and all of the above cost 1/2-2/3's of what we pay for it in Canada.Looking foreward to seeing the Blackhills and Yellowstone again havn't been there since 1990 shortly after the fire.........Harold [what's the best brand if I find some?]
I think it varies by store. I would do a search on the Internet for the areas your going to be in (Yellowstone say) to find store that handles ML supplies. I know Ddicks for Example handles CF rifle stuff, and some 777, but finding Goes in there is a big NO. Walmart use to carry Goex BP and 777, but I know they don't intend to do firearms any longer, I don't know if that means also firearms ammo. Since your going to "back woods" type places I don't think you will have a problem. Buying the bullets you want will be an issue cause most of the Ddicks, Walmarts, and sporting goods store in the National Chains sell PowerBelts only a few of the major brands you WONT find a Dicks having say a Hornady XTP 300g Mag .452 bullet. I would try to find the closes Gander Mountain in MT, WY, SD or ND and make it a point to visit there. I know the one in Winchester Va (small one) has reloading supplies and good selection of bulk bullets and things like that. Herders use to be in SD, that may be close to where your traveling. If a Gander Mountain was 4 hrs away, I would call them and see if they have everything that you want. They don't have an Online Catalog, but they do have a store in Fargo ND:
http://www.gandermountain.com/storelocator/

Hope that helps. Best wishes on your vacation and travels.

Did a Google Search for South Dakota Muzzleloader Supplies, found this:

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&rlz=1T4GZAZ_enUS226US226&q=Mu zzleloader+Supply+South+Dakota&btnG=Search

KONES KORNER GUNSHOP
Rural Route 2
Castlewood,South Dakota
605-793-2347

Spend some web time by State, and a couple of phone calls.
Chap Gleason
Old 07-20-2007, 11:15 AM
Typical Buck

Thanx for the info........ I'll do a little research beforeI go............Regards Harold
Old 07-20-2007, 11:25 AM
Fork Horn

Cabels's in Mitchell, SD has Goex for $17/pound.
Old 07-20-2007, 12:50 PM
Typical Buck

Nimrodder beat me to it. Cabela's in Mitchell is a super store and you should find most any item they carry on hand in that store. Search their website before you go. Sounds like a great trip!
Old 07-22-2007, 07:01 AM
Giant Nontypical

MOST sporting goods stores in the US don't stock any powder at all. Some gun stores that sell reloading supplies and equipment have powder, but I have found that it is getting more and more difficult to find REAL BLACK POWDER anywhere, even in many ML gun shops. However, many of such stores do stock substitute black powders such as Pyrodex, 777, Pinnacle, etc.

The reason for this is that the rules for storing any significant quantity of real black powder can be a nightmare, and are getting worse. It isan EXPLOSIVE, unlike the substitutes, which are "flammable solids", so storage rules are very stringent, and vary a lot from one jurisdiction to the next. One of the problems with the U.S. is that each local, county and state government make up their own rules, which are added on to the federal ones to make things "plumb confusin'" at times.