Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Scope help/suggestions >

Scope help/suggestions

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Scope help/suggestions

Old 07-18-2007, 03:04 PM

Default Scope help/suggestions

Hi first off, im new to the forums my names Ryan... hi everyone. ok onto the question now that thats out of the way. This will be my first year hunting so any other suggestions at all would also be helpful since i've never been on a hunt before.

I have a traditions 209 muzzleloader and im looking to buy a decent scope doesnt have to be top of the line or anything and i would prefer a mil-dot scope. so if anyone knows of any good reliable companies or scopes please leave feedback. I was looking into a 5th generations but then i realized i should research scopes before i buy one. SO i decided what better way then to get feedback from more then one person instead of articles in magazines and such. Anyways thanks for the time/suggestions.
Old 07-18-2007, 03:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Scope help/suggestions

ORIGINAL: monkel

Hi first off, im new to the forums my names Ryan... hi everyone. ok onto the question now that thats out of the way. This will be my first year hunting so any other suggestions at all would also be helpful since i've never been on a hunt before.

I have a traditions 209 muzzleloader and im looking to buy a decent scope doesnt have to be top of the line or anything and i would prefer a mil-dot scope. so if anyone knows of any good reliable companies or scopes please leave feedback. I was looking into a 5th generations but then i realized i should research scopes before i buy one. SO i decided what better way then to get feedback from more then one person instead of articles in magazines and such. Anyways thanks for the time/suggestions.
First welcome. I like Bushnell Elite 3200 Firefly in 40mm 3x9 about $200, I have bought Simmons before and they are OK on a first rifle. I would get a 3x9 with 40mm objectives. Steel rings, Weaver, Warne or whatever not aluminum. You can also read about Scopes here:

http://www.chuckhawks.com/index2h.muzzleloader.htm

under the Scope and sights section. You should also read the "Hunting with a ML section and the General ML Information section". First year
withmy inline, I used Open sights, and I believe I got 4 or 5 deer with it, so a properly sighted in open sights is very deadly out to 100 yards. Bullet selection in my opinion is a lot more important than sight selection, so choose your bullet and load well. Best wishes for this fall. Chap Gleason
Old 07-18-2007, 04:04 PM

sweet thanks for the help = )
Old 07-18-2007, 07:50 PM
Boone & Crockett

monkel

There really are some good scopes out there at a really decent price. The 3200 that Chap recommended is a good scope but I did not like the one I got the cross-hairs were to large + I do not think you can get it with a Mil-Dot... Sightron makes a really good mil-dat in either the SI or SII variety, with the SII being the more expensive.

The scope I use is Bushnell Elite 3200 but I get the Ballistic Reticle instead of the dual X crosshairs. It is more expensive than the dual X but I think it is worth it.... The 3200's have a rain guard coating applied to the lenes and it almost eliminated the need for scope covers. I left a gun out in the rain and cold weather all night picked it up and it was easy to see through the scope - It had rain all over it but on the lenses they were micro-dots...

I get them from scopes 'n more in Nampa, ID.... I do not think they tell you until you order it but it also comes with a small pair of Bushnell binoculars thrown in - think the are 10x26 or something like that...

http://www.scopesnmore.com/riflescopes4less/bushnell_elite_rifle_scopes.htm

You can check I think the regular 3200 is $179 and the 3200 with the ballistic reticle is $235 or something that plus the bino's...

Cayugad is really fond of the Bushnell Banner but I can not remember if it has a mil-dot option.

Good luck in your quest....

Old 07-18-2007, 09:21 PM

welcome to the site. I use a nikon prostaff 3x9x40 on my optima and really like it. My son has a traditions pursuit which he is going to add the same scope. Average price on the scope is around $170.

Good luck and have fun!