Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
.45cal Omega problems >

.45cal Omega problems

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

.45cal Omega problems

Old 12-29-2002, 09:13 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: .45cal Omega problems

Understand, but you may have another 45-70 whether or not that's what you wanted. By the way, predictable and consistent drop at 200 yards is much preferable to wildly erratic but flatter shooting bullets at that distance - is it not. The White accounted for a doe in a most impressive way at 200 yards just a little over a month ago. You aren't going to have a .243 no matter how much powder you stuff down that bore - just a sore shoulder.

But good luck in your quest.
Old 12-29-2002, 05:12 PM

Mac45 my Black Diamond is a 1 in 20" and on 3 shot groups at 100yds I range between 1 1/2" - 2", not exactly a tack driver but best thing I've come up with so far. Much like you I hunt an area where 200 yd shots are very possible so I wanted to stick with the 150gr charges as well to take full advantage of the .45. I have spoken with several people who have the Knight 45's with the 1 in 20" twist and from what I'm hearing their best results have been with Red Hots as well although the group sizes they indicated were smaller than I've been able to get.
Old 12-29-2002, 06:07 PM

Mtn.Hunter,
1 1/2"-2" groups witht the 175's is definetly acceptable @ 100yds with the 150gr. powder charge.
I'll be you that the 195's will shoot even tighter groups for you. Have you had a chance to try them? I think I purchased mine through Natchez.
I would be happy with my 45cal Omega if it shot that well.
How long have you had your Black Diamond?

Underclocked:
I know that the 45 will never be a .243, but I want to squeeze as much out of the 45 as I can. It gives me a new challenge. My 50's are all sighted in and ready to go.
My son and I are hopefully going to go antelope hunting this fall in Wyoming. If I can get the 45 shooting accurately, I want to be able to take it along with us.
I'll leave the .243 at home!
Thanks guys!
Keep it in the 10X
mac454
Old 12-30-2002, 05:47 PM

I've had my Black Diamond since the spring of 2002 so this is my first year getting to do any hunting with it. I didn't get the opportunity for a shot during the early muzzleloader buck season here in Virginia but got a late season doe day coming up this saturday and I'm hoping to get a chance to try it out. As for bullets I've tried both the Aero tip and hollow point versions of the 225 grain powerbelts, T/C 180gr sabots and the 175gr Red Hots. Of these the T/Cs were by far the most eratic for some reason, sounds like I might need to pick up some of the 195gr Red Hots and try those.
Old 12-30-2002, 07:41 PM
Typical Buck

As far as I know the first T/C encore barrels were 1:20 twists.The reason I want it to shoot better is too that I don't want to shoot big lead bullets,I could do that with the earlier 45.I tried everything I could think of except smokeless powder inthe Knight disc untill I tried the 225 gr power belts and in that gun they were a winner but I tried the same load in the Encore and they were all over the paper.I took one last year at 155 yds with it haven't been so lucky this year haven't seen but one deer with it and it had slipped up behind me at about 5yds when I tried to turn it was gone.Hope to get to try it next year.

http://www.hunting-pictures.com/memb...ght&encore.jpg
Old 12-31-2002, 07:11 AM
Nontypical Buck

I guess I'm going to have to shoot a 200 yard group to make believers out of you guys.

Check this out: http://www.huntamerica.com/wwwthread...b=5&o=&fpart=1

Hope you all find the loads you want and they work well.

Herman, what do you want for that 209x45 barrel? Reckon I would get it out of your closet if it were cheap enough.
Old 01-08-2003, 10:49 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 01-09-2003, 04:18 AM
Typical Buck

Herman, what do you want for that 209x45 barrel? Reckon I would get it out of your closet if it were cheap enough.
You can have it for $200,if you want it,the 50 cal cost me $230 plus tax and shipping.The 45 cost around $250 I think.
I have put it in sales paper before with no luck.One guy called and I told him it was a 45 barrel for the encore over the phone,he said to hold it for him he would be right over,about an hour later he showed up.I got it out of the closet and laid it on the couch in the box.He looked surprized at the box,and said you have an Encore in that box? I said no just the barrel,I told you over the phone it was only the barrel.People called all the time thinking they were going to get an Encore for $225.Goes to show people just see and hear what they want to.
Those are exceptional groups with that heavy bullet,I want to get some and try them in my 50 but I bought the 45 to shoot lighter bullets in,at the range and possibly hunting if I get groups I am satisfied with.
Word of caution DON"T LOAN YOUR MUZZLE LOADER OUT,I had a T/C Sennaca 45 cal. years ago and load it to my brother in law,told him and showed him how to clean it,Never did bring it back,so a year later I went and got it,it was ruint,it was rusted all over and you couldn't hardly get a patch to go down the barrel,so I gave it to a buddy to hang on the wall.It was one hell of a shooter,I took lots of deer with it using the T/C maxi-ball,Shoot one 4 pointer in the throat at 125 yds,shot a 11 pointer with open sights that was so far away that I held a foot over its back,dropped where it stood,I cannot remember the twist rate but it shot so good I about cried when I saw the shape it was in when I got it back.

http://www.hunting-pictures.com/memb...ght&encore.jpg