Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Pyrodex in a Sidelock? >

Pyrodex in a Sidelock?

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Pyrodex in a Sidelock?

Old 07-06-2007, 11:25 PM
Fork Horn

Default Pyrodex in a Sidelock?

I am seeing a lot were you all are using Pyrodex in your sidelocks, I tried this years ago and I kept getting the delay before ignition.So I kept on usingElephant blackpowder in my sidelocks. Have they done smething to do away with the delay, or what is the trick? I never could figure it out.
Old 07-06-2007, 11:55 PM

Default RE: Pyrodex in a Sidelock?

I use a nipple that has a hollow base and lets more flame hit the powder. Before i had the original nipple on and i was lucky to get 1 shot every 5 percussion caps. I also use triple 7 in the same rifle and its been doing great.
Old 07-07-2007, 05:24 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Cessna Flyer

I am seeing a lot were you all are using Pyrodex in your sidelocks, I tried this years ago and I kept getting the delay before ignition.So I kept on usingElephant blackpowder in my sidelocks. Have they done smething to do away with the delay, or what is the trick? I never could figure it out.
I have been using Pyrodex i(loose, not pellets!!!) in sidelocks ever since it first came out. I used to have the same problem you describe when I used old Remington No. 11 caps.

But if you use CCI Magnum caps, the hangfires will go away. If you still have problems, get a Mag-Spark nipple for your rifle, and use 209 primers with it! This setup will light anything!

(Unless it has been improved, Elephant is the WORST BP available. Swiss is the best. Graf's is also very good, if you don't like GOEX.)
Old 07-07-2007, 07:08 AM
Dominant Buck

Get a hot shot nipple made of stainless steel, and use a hotter cap. I like the RWS 1075 Dynamite Noble or the CCI MAGNUM (make sure they are not the standard as they can cause problems) #11 caps. I never had much luck with Remington Caps. I use them as a last resort.

I was shooting Pyrodex RS out of a New Englander yesterday with perfect ignition. Also when you hunt with it, if you are leery of the powder, pull the nipple and put a few grains in the bolster and then replace the nipple. It will go off. Keep your powder dry, and you should have real good ignition.

Although, a friend shoots a Tradition's Hawkins rifle and it will not shoot Pyrodex for some reason. We changed out the nipple and used new Pyrodex but misfires were very common. I changed him over to a pound of Goex 2f and it solved all his problems.

As for your Elephant powder, that was one powder I had terrible luck with. It was hard to light, under powered, and fowled out the rifles faster then any other powder friends and I ever shot. In fact we disliked the powder so much, we finally took the pound we had and made flash lines for our amusement.
Old 07-07-2007, 09:47 AM
Giant Nontypical

I have work on a number of rifles that have had this problem; some times the if the problem does not go away with the hotter caps like the RWS1075 you need to check [especally on CVA or Traditions for a burr or a shaving in the channel of the snail] once I even found a shaving in a TC and I have had to redrill a couple of snails that were not drilled quite far enough so that there was a flange at the angle of the snail. Lee
Old 07-07-2007, 12:05 PM
Fork Horn

Thanks, I have used the hot shot nipple and the newers ones, but that might have been before I went to the CCI #11 mag cap. Oh, Remington caps, don't touch my gun. CCI or RWS.

I had excellent results with Elephant and Goex, used to shoot both. It will be awhile longer before I have my hands on my muzzleloaders, but that 69 caliber might be FS.
Old 07-07-2007, 12:09 PM

Pyrodex RS is all I've had the opportunity to shoot in my sidelock so far and it might be all I ever shoot unless I just get some money to spend and some time to kill and try different loads. I like what I'm seeing with it so why change? I was having the hangfire problem but I took a suggestion of cayugad's and more or less sanded the nipple some so my caps would seat better and the problem went away. I have a Hot Shot that I plan to put on before I go out for another range session, though.
Old 07-08-2007, 08:27 AM
Nontypical Buck

I use the hot shot nipple also but there is a slight still a slight hang fire. I'm sure that it's not more than a mila sec but it is still there. It is something that I've just got used to. I may not even notice it if I wouldn't be shooting so much rifle.
Old 07-08-2007, 08:47 AM
Dominant Buck

Many rifles have a "click" bang delay. That is just the nature of the beast. Some rifles are worse then others of course. It is just something you have to understand and get used to. When you practice your follow through, all of that really makes little difference. I have actually shot, had a slight hang fire, but still not really effected the accuracy. My little trick is, when I shoot, I look through the shot. Over the sights, the gun bangs, and I watch for the hit on the targetthrough the entire process while staying in form.
Old 07-08-2007, 09:10 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: cayugad

Many rifles have a "click" bang delay. That is just the nature of the beast. Some rifles are worse then others of course. It is just something you have to understand and get used to. When you practice your follow through, all of that really makes little difference. I have actually shot, had a slight hang fire, but still not really effected the accuracy. My little trick is, when I shoot, I look through the shot. Over the sights, the gun bangs, and I watch for the hit on the targetthrough the entire process while staying in form.
If you get "click-bang" hangfires after trying CCI #11 Magnum caps, then get a Mag-Spark nipple from these guys, and use #209 primers just like the inline boys do. This device will shoot flames out the muzzle, just like a large-rifle primer in an empty centerfire rifle case does! In addition, with the firing pin cap in placecovering the primer, your sidelock is effectively water-proffed. I use a ribber sink faucet washer on the screw-on cap around the firing pin as a safety device. It keeps the hammer from touching the pin while you carry the rifle,but falls off when you cock it!

http://www.warrencustomoutdoor.com/mag-spark.html

Quick Reply: Pyrodex in a Sidelock?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.