Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
peep sights are they popular ????? >

peep sights are they popular ?????

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

peep sights are they popular ?????

Old 12-26-2002, 07:25 PM

Default peep sights are they popular ?????

Hi---- all trying to get some input on peeps any pro's or con's with them?? I want to put one on my omega I know that T/C offers them and same with WILLIAMS are there any more brands out there ?? and will it mount in the back scope mount or in the rear sight mount thanks for any input--- good or bad!!!!!!
Old 12-26-2002, 07:40 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: peep sights are they popular ?????

I have a T/C peep site on my T/C Renegade .54 caliber. I think they have good and bad points. When the light conditions are good, they are excellent. You get a nice sight target/picture, and can make excellent shots even at long distances. When lighting is poor, they are sometimes hard to get a good site picture. Many times looking into a dark cedar thicket early or late in the day, it is hard to pick up the front site in the rear peep hole. I plan on putting a fiber optic front sight on it to help in this matter. On the other hand, I have a Traditions .50 caliber Hawkins with fiber optics, and I must admit the sights are easy to see and line up. Even in the early morning hours. I was raised on peep sights and shot them ever sence I could remember. My friend I hunt with put a peep on his CVA Hawkins, and HATES the thing, yet his son has a peep on his Hawkins, and would not use anything else. His is a Williams peep, and it is a nice sight. I think they are a personal preference. If you can find one and shoot them a little at different times of the day, and at different backgrounds... Good shooting to you..
Old 12-26-2002, 10:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

I think I'd try the fiber optics first if it's for hunting.

Old 12-27-2002, 07:21 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 12-27-2002, 07:28 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 12-28-2002, 09:47 PM

I've been amazed at the accuracy you can get when using a peep sight, but like cayugad said they can be hard to see through in low light conditions.
What I like best is a fine fiber optic front sight when using a rear peep sight. The hole is fairly large....I think around .156 dia. I take off the rear peep (aperture) and shoot looking through the taped hole in the early morning and late evening hrs. when the light conditions aren't the best. I think they call this shooting through the ghost ring? It works pretty good...you ought to give it a try.
Keep it in the 10X
mac454