Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

peep sights

Old 04-25-2007, 09:42 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default peep sights

PA finally got rid of the law that flintlocks in the flintlock season must have iron sights...a couple years ago they allowed fiber optics, but not peeps! finally passed peeps...

i have an astigmatism and contacts dont completely cure it..help but i still dont see as sharply as i should..and hate wearing glasses...hunting id definently fog them up etc...

i got TC fiber optics on my hawken...but still have trouble with them blurring...ive never really shot with peep sights except on AR-15s and such rifles..and my bow...but i seem to like them and shoot them accurately...

im thinking of adding a peep to the hawken and keeping my FO front sight...anyone shoot like that?? good accuracy?? i dont shoot super far with the flinter..but i like my accuracy..just curious...i think id like them..just looking for expirienced guys...

thanx
Old 04-25-2007, 10:19 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: peep sights

mauser06

i got TC fiber optics on my hawken...but still have trouble with them blurring...
Same problem here and to solve my problem I moved the rear sight forward one inch - really helped a lot with the blurring....

It seems that the RMC "V" peep sight happens to be one that several people have really jumped onto as being the best thing out there...

http://rmcsports.com/catalog.htm

found under Black Powder Sights...

Old 04-26-2007, 06:17 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: sabotloader

mauser06

i got TC fiber optics on my hawken...but still have trouble with them blurring...
Same problem here and to solve my problem I moved the rear sight forward one inch - really helped a lot with the blurring....

It seems that the RMC "V" peep sight happens to be one that several people have really jumped onto as being the best thing out there...

http://rmcsports.com/catalog.htm

found under Black Powder Sights...

Mauser06, I shoot the RMC Vpeep on my FL and a Knight Disc and it takes care of the blury front sight problem. I also do NOT like the red front sight, green is better, if you call RMC sports they will place a green in the kit you get from them at no extra cost, and send you extra green inserts. Good people to deal with friendly and fast.
Chap Gleason
Old 04-26-2007, 06:46 AM
Typical Buck

MAUSER: HERE A T/C PEEP ON MY 50 CAL. FLINTER
I find first you will have to redrill the factory peep hole with a 1/64 drill bit to open the peep to .090 for early and late evening hunts,I also find if you are using a t/c front fiber optic,(which I do ) the set up is a o.k.
I myself at 60 seem to also start having small prblems with iron sights.
http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a380/lonewolf5347/P1010007.jpg
Old 04-26-2007, 07:58 AM
Nontypical Buck

I gave up shooting my Hawkins many years ago due poor eye sight. I installed the T/C peep sight sent to me by Longbow bow hunter and I shoot the hawkins again, I can see the sights and target as clear as I could when I was a teenager. I take out the insert for early and late hunting.

Al
Old 04-26-2007, 08:59 AM
Nontypical Buck

I shoot a T/C NewEnglander with a f/o front and a tang mounted peep. Works great for my aging eyes.
Old 04-26-2007, 12:59 PM
Dominant Buck

I have a T/C tang mount peep laying around here somewhere. I used to have it on a Renegade but changed over a few years back. Where I hunt, come afternoon you are looking into shadows all the time. The closer to closing the worse the shadows get. Unfortunately that's normally when I see the deer. At that point I felt the peep was not the best option for me and went to a fiber optic sight. Even shooting the ghost ring, although better, was not the answer. Although the standard brass and iron sights work for me as well. I just paint them with florescent model paint.

I will say when I put the peep back on and shoot with it on the target range, it will improve my scores. Of course I shoot when the light is perfect, and there are no shadows. I like a peep for hunting when the lighting is right. A time when they work excellent is when there is good snow cover. I can pull and get target real fast with them. I am going to throw a fluorescent front sight on the one barrel and try the peep again. I want to see if that makes a different. Then I will paint the back end of the peep so my eye does not focus on it.

I can sure understand your problem with the vision attribute you described. It might just work for you... who knows until you try.
Old 04-26-2007, 01:31 PM
Typical Buck

I tried a fiber optic peep from williams (a little to fine again hard to see)
I like the one t/c has a little thicker red front bead and remember to redrill the factory peep I think it was 1/64 drill bit bringing the hole to .090
I also find mounting a little high on the tang really helps otherwise using the back tang screw gives me a problem trying too pick up the front bead and no need to dig your check into the stock when the peep is forward on the tang.
Old 04-26-2007, 06:42 PM
Giant Nontypical

thanx guys...im going to order one and give it a try this summer. dont know if itll help or not...but certainly worth a try...if i dont like it i'll loose a few bucks on ebay at the worst...
Old 04-26-2007, 07:07 PM

I put the truglo ghost ring on my x150, really like it alot. Ive shot a couple rifles with peep sight but it wasnt for me.

Quick Reply: peep sights

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.