Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

NEF.. .50 cal

Old 06-29-2007, 03:02 PM
Typical Buck

Default NEF.. .50 cal

just what is a 209 primer carrier for NEF HUNTSMAN ???? the NEF looks a lot like the ROSSI ..except the ROSSI has a 23" barrel ..do i need replacement carriers ????
Old 06-30-2007, 06:03 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: NEF.. .50 cal

The NEF uses a plastic holder for the primer. It also serves as an indicator as to whether the rifle is primed or not, as it is visible when inserted (a small notch allows the orange carrier to show with the breech closed). It is also expensive at about $1.00 each! It is the reason I have avoided buying a NEF.
Old 06-30-2007, 06:40 AM
Typical Buck

thanks for the reply ..i'll get the ROSSI instead .[.less complicated]
Old 07-02-2007, 07:14 PM

Anybody know how many shots you can get out of one of those primer carriers that NEF requires? And if you can shoot multiple times, do you have to keep 'em really clean between each shot?

Just wondering about the costs.

Oh, and same question could be asked about the Knight Discs... are they good for multiple shots?

COElkScout
Old 07-03-2007, 03:14 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have a Knight and have used the samedisc's multiple times target shooting with out having any problems.
Just to be safe during hunting season I use only new ones.

ORIGINAL: COElkScout

Anybody know how many shots you can get out of one of those primer carriers that NEF requires? And if you can shoot multiple times, do you have to keep 'em really clean between each shot?

Just wondering about the costs.

Oh, and same question could be asked about the Knight Disc's... are they good for multiple shots?

COElkScout
Old 07-04-2007, 12:49 PM
Fork Horn

I just rinse off the primer carriers with soap and water. I bought a bunch when I first got the gun and don't know how many shots they are good for. I would guess that my carriers have 50+ shots on average and they look good as new.