Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Removing TC action from stock, Point of Imapct??? >

Removing TC action from stock, Point of Imapct???

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Removing TC action from stock, Point of Imapct???

Old 12-23-2002, 09:38 AM

Default Removing TC action from stock, Point of Imapct???

I just got off the phone with the guys at Thompson Center. We all know, or have heard, the design of the Omega is to make part removal and barrel cleaning a less cumbersome task. My question was about cleaning the action when primer residue escaped around the breech block. He then explained that although the breech block should be sealed there is a chance residue from the primer could get down on the arm of the breach block and, depending on the number of fired rounds, even further down into the trigger assembly. If this were to happen, he claimed I could remove the entire assembly from the stock for easier cleaning of the action. I questioned this comment by asking if removing the action from the stock would change the point of impact. He claimed that due to the fact their barrel is free floated and that the scope is mounted directly to the barrel, opposite the bedding block, this would not effect point of impact, that the stock is nothing more than a holder of the action. He pointed out the Encore design, that once a scope is zeroed it doesn't change even when you swap barrels back and forth. He said the key is a free floated barrel and mounting the scope directly to the bedded object. He claimed the only time point of impact would change is when the scope is mounted on a receiver which is separate from the bedded object, even when their treaded together like a bolt action. The other would be if the barrel was bedded or had a contact pressure point. What do you guys think?

Toby
Old 12-26-2002, 07:44 AM

Default RE: Removing TC action from stock, Point of Imapct???

I know for a fact that it will not change. I have an Omega and have gone to the range and had it shooting dead on at 100 yards. After that I went home and completely disassembled it all the way to removing the action. Even when you remove the action the Omega is still a dream to clean because all you have to do to take the action out is loosen the set screws and tap the pins out. After the complete disassembly and cleaning of the Omega the next weekend I went out to the range and it was still dead on at 100 yards.
Old 12-26-2002, 10:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

I think T/C knows what they are talking about.

Old 12-28-2002, 03:59 PM

Toby,
The guys at T/C know what they are talking about. If you were to take off your scope for cleaning purposes that would be a different story. You could possibly change the point of impact this way, depending on the type of scope mounts that you are using. I've never had problems taking off my scopes and remounting them after cleaning, but with cheap mounts I suppose it's possible. I use Leupolds quick dis-connect mounts and I have had no problems.
In the past, I used the Weaver style rings and bases, but I kept breaking the heads of the screws that hold the rings to the base. With the Weaver style I never experienced impact changes either.
Good Luck and keep it in the 10X
Mac454