Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 How did you do in the draw? >

How did you do in the draw?

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

How did you do in the draw?

Old 06-01-2007, 12:21 PM

Default How did you do in the draw?

Anyone put in for Colorados draw? We got our 3 doe tags and my dad drew a statewide cow elk tag. For the elk we're going to white river ntl. forest. For the deer we'll be hunting the surrounding units 22 and 211. Im going to do the leftover tag draw in August and put in for a bull elk and a buck for unit 23 " whiteriver ntl forest". My .45 should be belching some smoke this september!
How did everyone else do?
Old 06-01-2007, 01:07 PM

Default RE: How did you do in the draw?

Drew a statewide bull tag and a buck tag for unit 71. Now, just to actually get out to the range and practice.
Old 06-01-2007, 01:24 PM
Dominant Buck

Being an out of State hunter that would be interested in perhaps getting an elk tag, whether bull or cow makes no difference, what steps do I have to do to apply.. etc.
Old 06-01-2007, 01:47 PM

Go here cayugad. http://wildlife.state.co.us/Hunting/

With you being an out of state hunter, I'd go with the state wide elk tag. If you wanted to hunt this year, you'd have to call their # and see when the left over tags will be available. Im hunting near Meeker, thats supposed to be a great area for elk. We used to hunt near Colo/wyo mine area for elk when i was a wee lad and that was excellent for elk.
Old 06-01-2007, 01:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: frontier gander

Go here cayugad. http://wildlife.state.co.us/Hunting/

With you being an out of state hunter, I'd go with the state wide elk tag. If you wanted to hunt this year, you'd have to call their # and see when the left over tags will be available. Im hunting near Meeker, thats supposed to be a great area for elk. We used to hunt near Colo/wyo mine area for elk when i was a wee lad and that was excellent for elk.
I plan on hunting near Meeker Co in 2008 on this ranch:

http://www.louisianapurchaseranch.com/

With a Savage ML (the one I am sighting in now) in 1st Rifle Season. I put in for a Elk Tag this year just for points. I understand that it make take a point to get a tag in this area next year.
Chap Gleason
Old 06-01-2007, 02:02 PM

why a ranch? theres elk crawling out of the wood work on public land!
Old 06-01-2007, 02:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

why a ranch? theres elk crawling out of the wood work on public land!
When you have no clue of where to go, then best to pay and learn the ropes. Like skiing. Best way to learn a mountain, is to takea lessons and follow the skiinstructors around. Oh, I get lodging and food, plus they drive me out on the ranch and place me at sites for elk, so it is a guided hunt 2 hunter per guide. NearBLM land that it borders on. Always wanted to hunt elk in colorado, but raising kids (finally got one thru college onMay 17 2007) has taken all my money. Now I am near retirement (60 this year, 1 more kid in college, have 3 years to pay for her) and I am able to squeeze the money out of my budget. Never allowed myself to consider it since I knew it would cost about $4000 when all done (license + air fare). Oh, what are some good jerkey and Peperonni stick makers around Meeker?Can you give me a phone number of them, wanna plan on costs. I understand shipping it back in coolers on the plane is expensive, so maybe I can make it up into Jerkey and sticks, hate to do that honestly.

Chap Gleason

Old 06-01-2007, 02:38 PM

yeah i know what you mean.Nothing like a thick juicy elk steak. I was looking that website and those are some really small looking elk. If i were you, i'd wait until 3ed season, thats when the BIG boys start coming down. I know for a fact that if you wait until 3ed season and go to the western side of white river ntl forest, just right on the edge of meeker, you're going to take a big bull. I'll make sure i keep you and cayugad up to date on the elk and what area. My dads a sheriff in meeker so i'd be more than happy to come up and help either of you guys out.
Old 06-01-2007, 08:04 PM
Dominant Buck

WOW!! that is a very generous offer Frontier Gander. I still have a few things going on at home so this year is out of the question, but I do intend to hunt elk before my legs finally do not allow me to do it.

As for Elk steaks.. my friend used to go out and hunt elk somewhere out there every year in guided hunts. He shot a nice bull one year, andhad an elk feed at his home one evening and served elk roast cooked in onions, butter, mushrooms, and different spices. That is what got me so intersted in hunting them and moose. I never ate anything in my life as good as that elk roast.
Old 06-01-2007, 08:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

yeah i know what you mean.Nothing like a thick juicy elk steak. I was looking that website and those are some really small looking elk. If i were you, i'd wait until 3ed season, thats when the BIG boys start coming down. I know for a fact that if you wait until 3ed season and go to the western side of white river ntl forest, just right on the edge of meeker, you're going to take a big bull. I'll make sure i keep you and cayugad up to date on the elk and what area. My dads a sheriff in meeker so i'd be more than happy to come up and help either of you guys out.
Yes, I know. You can either hunt for size or number, so I chose number, since I figure an elk is better than no elk. I realize the 3rd rifle season is the best, but cost is an extra $1000 so didn't want to do that. Honestly I bought the cheapest hunt I could afford. I appreciate your willingness to help out FG, especially with your father. I will see how things go in 2008.
Chap

Quick Reply: How did you do in the draw?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.