Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 halfcock not working.............. >

halfcock not working..............

Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

halfcock not working..............

Old 05-31-2007, 12:55 PM
Typical Buck

Default halfcock not working..............

I noticed the other day that the half cock feature on my .54 Renegade is not working.Is the trigger gone out of adjustment, I wonder?Could it have a weak spring as it doesn't have much jam even from full cock?I bought this one used so I don't know if it was stored cocked or what.Any ideas?Will 1" .54 Hawken barrels fit the Renegade stock?Thanx Harold
Old 05-31-2007, 12:59 PM

Default RE: halfcock not working..............

could be a cracked sear or tumbler. I had both go bad on my rifle.
Old 05-31-2007, 01:12 PM
Typical Buck

If it's a cracked sear or tumbler does that warrant a whole new lock? I'm not too sure about the lock anatomy and there's no Gunsmith around here. I wonder if it's worth while calling TC as I'm in Canada?thanx again Harold
Old 05-31-2007, 01:15 PM
Dominant Buck

Yes the 1" barrel from Green Mountain or a T/C Hawkins will fit the stock of the .54 caliber Renegade.

Some things to do to fix/check the half cock. First off pull the lock off the rifle and make sure it is well cleaned back there. I like to scrub it with an old tooth brush and some solvent. Then a very light coating of gun oil, on a Q-tip wipe the back of the lock off good. This is when you inspect the back of the lock, if there is some part of the lock broken then you need to send it back to Thompson Center for Warranty.

Pull the rifle (on an empty rifle of course) to full cock. Now holding the hammer, press the trigger and lower the hammer part way. Release the trigger and pull back on the hammer. Some times that will trip the half cock. BUT.. if you start to cock the hammer and do not hear or feel that definate first click where the half cock lies, I think I would send it back to Thompson Center and have them check the rifle over.
Old 05-31-2007, 01:17 PM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: Pioneer2

If it's a cracked sear or tumbler does that warrant a whole new lock? I'm not too sure about the lock anatomy and there's no Gunsmith around here. I wonder if it's worth while calling TC as I'm in Canada?thanx again Harold
Yes, give them a call. They will waranty the lock. At least they have for me when ever I had a problem. You would be able to just send in the lock and not the whole rifle, so that should help with boarder crossing stuff I would think.
Old 05-31-2007, 01:29 PM
Typical Buck

Took it apart and at the base of the coil spring where it seats below the stock screw a small piece is broken off.
Someone may know what it's called.I'll call TC and see what they think.Crap I'm off the next three days and wanted to go shoot! Thanx Harold