Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Hi All, I am new to the board, have a "?" >

Hi All, I am new to the board, have a "?"

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Hi All, I am new to the board, have a "?"

Old 05-31-2007, 12:35 PM

Default Hi All, I am new to the board, have a "?"

just bought my first bp rifle, a CVA 50cal St Louis Hawkins.

tell me I would like to know who does one care the powder to dispense in the rifle, let say if you are hunting? All the powder flasks I have found in the stores and ebay seem to be designed for bp pistols/revovlers.

What is the best way to carry the powder on your person to transfer it over to a bp measure? I mean the bp flasks I found do like 20 grains at a time and that would take at least 4 dumpings of powder to reach the recommended amount.

What is the catch? Do they make flasks for rifles to go into a powder measure? Thank you and sorry for this newbie question...
Old 05-31-2007, 12:43 PM

Default RE: Hi All, I am new to the board, have a "?"

http://cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templa...amp;hasJS=true

That one works great for measuring powder.
Old 05-31-2007, 12:44 PM

I shoot a savage, so do not use BP, but you should be able to premeasure your loads, put in vials or something similiar and then load when needed.
Old 05-31-2007, 01:04 PM
Dominant Buck

There is the old method of you carry a powder horn. Pour from the powder horn into a measure. Pour from the measure into the muzzle of the rifle. Even the simple pistol horns can be used in that case. Fill the metal pistol horn and dump right into the measure.

http://www.cva.com/products/access_load.htm so you need a powder horn, powder measure, and a #11 capper is handy as well to carry and cap your rifle.

Another method is pour pre measured charges in to speed loaders. Carry as many speed loads as you think you might need.
http://www.cva.com/products/access_hunt.htm

I like the pre measured speed loaders because I carry five of them and a loaded rifle for the day. That means I have six shots to work with. I have never needed the full six. Then carry some projectiles in an altoids can. Line the altoids candy tin with cotton patches. You can use them for swabbing the barrel in an emergency. Also the patches will keep the projectiles quiet and protected. Some patches on top of the projectiles as well helps.

The St. Louis Hawkins is a nice little rifle. My friend's son has one. He shoots 70 grains of Goex 3f and a patched roundball. So far for whitetail it is all he has needed. Welcome to the sport and the forum.
Old 05-31-2007, 05:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: military_buff

just bought my first bp rifle, a CVA 50cal St Louis Hawkins.

tell me I would like to know who does one care the powder to dispense in the rifle, let say if you are hunting? All the powder flasks I have found in the stores and ebay seem to be designed for bp pistols/revovlers.

What is the best way to carry the powder on your person to transfer it over to a bp measure? I mean the bp flasks I found do like 20 grains at a time and that would take at least 4 dumpings of powder to reach the recommended amount.

What is the catch? Do they make flasks for rifles to go into a powder measure? Thank you and sorry for this newbie question...

You need to buy speed loaders, which hold a bullet and powder, or just plastic powder holders like this from amcsport.com:

Chap Gleason

Old 05-31-2007, 07:47 PM
Dominant Buck

35mm film containers also work to hold powder charges. Another thing is pill/medicine bottles (the smaller the better). Some pharmacy's will let you have old ones, some will not. Something about the label have to be removed. I used the plastic film canisters for years. Still do, although I do not see the need in my future now.