Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Price check?

Old 05-23-2007, 02:09 PM
Typical Buck

Default Price check?

What might a T/C Big Bore 58 cal rifle be worth, in good used condition, no rust and normal dings n scratches??? I know where there is one on consinment but not sure if the price it too high.

Tanks
Old 05-23-2007, 02:35 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Price check?

Brand new would go for $500.00 but used in only good condition I would go as high as $300.00 if I really wanted it. I always figure if I have to pay over 60% of a new priced rifle, I would then fork over the additional and get new.

Funny you should ask, I was at FoxRidge Outfitters today looking at a .58 caliber Big Bore Flintlock Hawkins. $520.00 I think it was. That would be an excellent rifle. Just not sure if I like the QLA on the rifle. I might call them and ask what it would cost for taking the thing off and coning the barrel.
Old 05-23-2007, 02:40 PM
Typical Buck

Hmmm?? This one don't have the QLA and I think that is a good thing. They have a price of $350 on the gun right now, it's been there for at least a month now. I was just looking on ebay and found a big bore 58 barrel for auction, it's up to $195 already for a barrel only. Fo not much more a guy can get a new GM barrel.
Old 05-23-2007, 03:49 PM
Dominant Buck

Then again, some things are worth what ever you're willing to pay for it. $350.00 would still not be a bad deal since you said it is in good shape. But I looked at used ones, and what they were selling for, I decided to add a couple hundred and get brand new.
Old 05-23-2007, 04:10 PM

You can always offer them less. The worst thing they can do is say no. Well, they could do worse, but probably won't.

I usually try to phrase my offer something like, "You know, I realize the gun is probably worth the $350 you are asking, but my washing machine just conkedout and I have to buy a new one.All I can do right now on a gunis $250." Or something else like that, which by the way, is a fact for me right now. [:@]

That way, there is really no disputing the "worth" of the gun. They either take the offer or they don't. Later, you might then find a way to come up with the rest of the money if you so chose.
Old 05-23-2007, 06:09 PM
Typical Buck

Well, they turned me down at $300 last time I was in there. It's a consignment so they may not have the ability to jew on it.

But thanks for the input, apreciate it.
Old 05-23-2007, 07:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

In a case like you describe, I would leave the offer on the table and give them my phone number with instructions to call me if the consignee decides to reconsider. If the gun sells, then it wasn't meant to be, if not, they may call you up and see if your still interested.

Of course, if you really want it, it's only $50 more than you offered. Your choice.