Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 ML in rifle season >

ML in rifle season

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

ML in rifle season

Old 05-21-2007, 05:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default ML in rifle season

Hello all. I had a question about this topic and so I decided to start a new thread.

Can you use a ML in center fire season?

Here in Arizona, for deer,we have both a center fire and a seperateML season. In this kind of situation, can a person use an ML during center fire season? Or does it really depend upon the state and I should check the state regulations?

Thanks!
~Robert
Old 05-21-2007, 05:20 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: ML in rifle season

In Wisconsin you can use a muzzleloader during our modern (centerfire) season. In fact in some areas of the state which are "shotgun only," muzzleloaders are legal. For this reason, they are very popular with a lot of hunters. In many of the Shotgun only areas, you can experience open fields and marshes. So what would yourather have for a 200 yard shot? A shotgun loaded with slugs or a T/C Pro Hunter with 150 grains of powder and a 3-9x40mm scope on it sighted in at 150 yards? In fact during this modern seasontime, the muzzleloader can be scoped. So for this reason I have scoped muzzleloaders as well as unscoped. During our muzzleloader season we can use a non magnification scope. So I recently mounted a 1X T/C Hunter scope on an inline rifle.
Old 05-21-2007, 05:23 PM
Boone & Crockett

RobertSubnet

In Idaho and during the regular season you can use centerfire, ML, or oarchery - your choice. During regular season your ML can be scoped and shoot 209 or rifle primers. During Short range Season you can use ML's, shotguns, or archery your choice... the ml can have all the bells and whistles. During ML season, lead bullets - 10/1000 of bore, open sights, pivot hammer, loose powder - 50 cal or greater for elk and .428 caliber or better for deer.

Those are the basic rules for this year - they just changed from what they were for several years, and hopefully they may change again next year.

Old 05-21-2007, 05:23 PM
Giant Nontypical

Such things very widely between states it is best to check carefully. Lee
Old 05-21-2007, 06:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: RobertSubnet

Hello all. I had a question about this topic and so I decided to start a new thread.

Can you use a ML in center fire season?

Here in Arizona, for deer,we have both a center fire and a seperateML season. In this kind of situation, can a person use an ML during center fire season? Or does it really depend upon the state and I should check the state regulations?

Thanks!
~Robert
Yes, in Virginia you can. In ML season can use inlines, FL or Caplock, can have a scope and can use pellets or powder, can use any kind of bullet--PRB, Cast, Conical or sabot.
Chap Gleason Va
Old 05-21-2007, 06:32 PM

In new mexico, you're only allowed to use a muzzleloader during muzzleloading season. You cant use it during rifle. I was at the game and fish and asked and was shocked when he told me that. Stupid if you ask me.
Old 05-21-2007, 07:48 PM
Boone & Crockett

If that's the rule in NM it's got to be one of the dumbestthings I've ever heard. That's what happens when game laws are made by politicians and/or someone who has little knowledge of firearms.
Old 05-21-2007, 08:35 PM
Typical Buck

Exactly!!!!
Old 05-24-2007, 01:06 AM
Nontypical Buck

In Manitoba you can use a ML during the regular rifle season. There are areas that are bow and ML only and many during rifle do not hunt these areas because they are out with their center fire guns. It's amazing what comes out of the bush in the non-rifle areas during this time. It's like the deer think the season is over and are just walking around stupid esp. in the third week of the regular season (since there is little to no hunting pressure for a couple of weeks). Hey if it is legal in your province or state...give it a try.
Old 05-24-2007, 06:17 AM
Boone & Crockett

In Ok you can.