Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Using your ML during rifle season... >

Using your ML during rifle season...

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Using your ML during rifle season...

Old 05-26-2007, 12:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Using your ML during rifle season...

In Manitoba you can use a ML during the regular rifle season. There are areas that are bow and ML only and many during rifle do not hunt these areas because they are out with their center fire guns. It's amazing what comes out of the bush in the non-rifle areas during this time. It's like the deer think the season is over and are just walking around stupid esp. in the third week of the regular season (since there is little to no hunting pressure for a couple of weeks). Hey if it is legal in your province or state...give it a try.

I had placed this in another post but just an addition. I usually hunt whitetails during rifle with my 7mm mag but for the last two years I have been taking my ML with me also. In the mornings and evenings I would hunt with the rifle, out of one of my tree stands along some very long tree lines (easy 500 yards). Where the ML comes in handy is during the mid day hours. The 7mm mag does not preform well in thick cover as I walk the bush butmy ML is a real treat.We are able to party hunt in Manitoba so there are always extra tags to fill. Over the last 2 years I've filled 3 tags using this method with my ML during rifle season.
Old 05-28-2007, 11:02 AM

Last year was my first year back hunting in about 12-13years I bought a ML and that is all I used last year and thats all I plan to use.
Old 05-28-2007, 02:47 PM
Giant Nontypical

Been using a muzzleloader for regular gun season since 1965, but I take 70% of my deer with a bow or a x-bow. Lee
Old 05-28-2007, 05:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

Last year was my first year using a ML and I got a nice y-horn with my Omega. This year I plan to use the Omega for moose and my Lyman GPR Flintock .50 for deer.

Where I hunt deer and moose (WMU 48 and 15B Ontario Canada) there are no special seasons for ML's. You hunt with all the rest of the centerfires. There are some areas in the province that do have special seasons.