Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 TC Shockwave SuperGlides? >

TC Shockwave SuperGlides?

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

TC Shockwave SuperGlides?

Old 05-20-2007, 08:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default TC Shockwave SuperGlides?

Just curious to know how many of you are shooting these rounds or have tried them? What powder and charges were you using?

I'd like to use the 250 gr SuperGlides through my Encore Pro Hunter with either 100 gr or 150 gr of American Pioneer Powder "Shockeys Gold".

Any feedback?

Old 05-20-2007, 09:03 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: TC Shockwave SuperGlides?

If the original Shockwaves are a problem loading, then these are a good place to look. I shot two packs of them out of different inlines I own and found no or little difference in accuracy as compared to the standard shockwave. I should mention that standard shockwaves do not load all that hard in my rifles.

As for the strength of the powder charge, I would treat them as I would any other shockwave. Of course the range testing of them will best prove to you what powder charge to use.
Old 05-21-2007, 05:45 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: IL-Cornfed

Just curious to know how many of you are shooting these rounds or have tried them? What powder and charges were you using?

I'd like to use the 250 gr SuperGlides through my Encore Pro Hunter with either 100 gr or 150 gr of American Pioneer Powder "Shockeys Gold".

Any feedback?

The shockwaves are very accurate in an Omega, but they tend NOT to expand. I have not tried the super glide sabot, so they may load easier, but loading them in an Omega was a tree banging affair, so I couldn't use them. I love their accuracy:

http://www.the-gleasons.com/tcshockwave300g.htm

If they expanded better and had an easier loading sabot, I would use them because they are one accurate bullet. Chap Gleason
Old 05-21-2007, 06:54 AM
Giant Nontypical

I also find them to bemost accurate, I have also found them to shoot best with heavy loads; the 200gr 40cal with 150gr is avery good deer load and has worked quite well for me. BUT only if you shoot heavy loads.
I would recommend XTP for those who like 70-100gr. The Speer gold dot for 100-130 gr and for those who like heavy loads [thats me] of 130 to 150gr and have a gun [my System one and Omega both shoot best with 130 plus] that likes heavy loads the Shock Waves are the extreme range load and I believe them best for bear, elk, ect.
Also you will find a number of sabots available both the MMP and the Harvestor are very good you just need to find the correct thickness so that your bullet loads well be snug,it needs to be tight enough to be held firmly in place when loaded until it is fired.
I have taken both deer and boar with the 200gr SW[40 cal] at 2300 fps and under 100yds and they did a real good job under those circumstances. Lee
Old 05-21-2007, 07:19 AM
Spike

After trying some different bullets I found for my scoped Omega 90 grs of 777 and
CLAYBUSTERS / HARVESTER 50 CAL SABOTS W/ .451 DIA 330 GR HARD CAST BULLET
http://www.midsouthshooterssupply.com/item.asp?sku=00072H35033
or
http://www.midsouthshooterssupply.com/item.asp?sku=000308215

THOMPSON CENTER ACCESSORIES .50CAL SUPER GLIDE SABOTS W/ 300GR SHOCK WAVE SPIRE PT BULLETS
shot about the same at 50 and 100 yrds from sand bag rest.
50 yrds 3/4 in. and 100 about 2 in. 3 shot grps.

I shot a 145 lb.hog with the Super Glidebut have not used the claybuster on any game, yet. Maybe this fall. Yes the claybuster was just abit lower on the paper than the super glide. Super Glide

loads easy with my Omega.

John NJ / FL
Old 05-21-2007, 07:48 AM
Boone & Crockett

I shoot 90 grains of JSG and a 250SST (Shockwave) in my Encore. Killed two deer and a bunch of pigs with that load. My longest shot was a pig at 172 long Army paces. That bullet did expand very well as did all the others. Its weight is now 167 grains.
Old 05-21-2007, 07:52 AM
Boone & Crockett

Here is a photo of the bullet recovered from a pig i killed in Feb., 07

Old 05-21-2007, 07:55 AM
Boone & Crockett

Wrong photo. This bullet broke two ribs going in and lodged in the opposite ribcage. It now weighs 167 grains. Distance 172 long Army paces. 175 yards +- 5 yards.

Old 05-21-2007, 09:11 AM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks guys for the feedback. I'm looking forward to experimenting more with different loads behind this round. Thanks again
Old 05-21-2007, 09:27 AM
Boone & Crockett

IL-Cornfed

The only thing I might add or subtract from what is posted here, is @ close range, shooting a thin skinned animal such as a deer with theShockwave/SST, ittends to pass thru the animal without significant expansion, usually due to the fact that is loaded so hot to achieve velocity for those long range shots. Long range shots do achieve expansion as the velocity has slowed significantly.

Conversersly if you hit a major bone on the way in at close range you will achieve expansion.

Even @ close range, either way the animal is dead, it just takes them longer to realize it and you may be doing some tracking, if you get a good blood trail.

Quick Reply: TC Shockwave SuperGlides?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.