Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Buffalo Bullet Conicals >

Buffalo Bullet Conicals

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Buffalo Bullet Conicals

Old 05-13-2007, 11:33 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Buffalo Bullet Conicals

How do you all like the Buffalo Conicals? I am mainly comparing to the Hornady. I think they make a 425gr HB-HP just like Hornady for the 54cal. What one is better? Is there much difference? I really like the Hornady Great Plains but was thinking about trying something different.
Old 05-13-2007, 12:02 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Buffalo Bullet Conicals

Sharp Shooter

Just as a thought, before you get to settled in on Buffalo's or Hornady, I would suggest you contact Dan @ Bull Shop...

http://bullshop.gunloads.com/prices.html

I am totally biased - so know that - but I have tried both and by far the Bulls Shops load better and shoot more accuratey... they have a better lube and they are round...

Also Dave Stevens' No Excuse Conicals are great - more expensive and limited in bore sizes - but if your bore will accept his conicals, they are great...

Old 05-13-2007, 12:15 PM

Yeah go with the Bullshop conicals. I just got them in and been shooting them and love them. Depending on what size you order, they load with very little resistance. I ordered .500" dia. and they are shooting awesome with 80 grains T7, felt wad and his 385 grain conical. I found out a few minutes ago they group a lot tighter with the wads.
Old 05-13-2007, 01:35 PM
Dominant Buck

I used to shoot Buffalo Bullet 425 grain HP conical all the time in my Renegades. They shot excellent. The reason I stopped shooting them is the extensive damage they did to a deer one year. I wanted the meat, not throw away the front half. Since I am not shooting at elk, I went to a simple REAL conical and they worked much better, damage wise.

Bullshop is currently looking into or has .54 caliber molds. Send him an email. It might be worth the trouble.
Old 05-25-2007, 09:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: cayugad
The reason I stopped shooting them is the extensive damage they did to a deer one year. I wanted the meat, not throw away the front half.
Cayugad,

What was your load, where'd it hit, exit, extent of damage?
Old 05-25-2007, 10:45 PM
Dominant Buck

80 grains of Pyrodex RS. The deer was broadside. And I blew out both front shoulders with that conical. It expanded leaving and bloodied the whole other side as well.
Old 05-25-2007, 10:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

You confirmed my suspicion about going through both shoulders. Sorry you lostall thatmeat. 80 grains is alot powder with a 425 grain conical.How big was the exit hole?

Old 05-25-2007, 11:01 PM
Dominant Buck

It looked like I threw a golf ball out the back side of that deer. What a mess.
Old 05-26-2007, 09:46 AM
Nontypical Buck

I am sure that would win for elk and moose!
Old 05-26-2007, 10:59 AM
Dominant Buck

I often wondered if the hollow point design of the Buffalo Bullet Conical made it open that much or if smacking two shoulder blade would have done it to any conical, no matter the design. The bone fragments, the hole, and the blood damage was hard to describe.

I remember my father saw that deer when I was butchering. He was a firm believer in a 30-30 rifle for deer hunting (or a shotgun slug). He saw all that meat damage and just laughed at me. Although I saw a few deer he shot with a 30-30 and even that 170 grain silver tip he used to shoot would blow a good sized hole through them.

Quick Reply: Buffalo Bullet Conicals

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.