Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Jag & rod

Old 05-07-2007, 06:58 PM

Default Jag & rod

Beautiful day here to punch paper. Almost 80 degrees sun shining; I leave work early to get setup about 5:00. Punch about 10 shots having a great time. The range went cold so some others could change out targets. I decided to swab, after all, it had been fouled for 10 shots. Sprayed some of cayugad's top secret mix and the damn jag snapped off at the threads!

Fortunately the breech broke loose easily (I use teflon plumbers tape) and I shoved the jag threw the end of the barrel. I was done for the day after about an hour.

I know, Sabotloader in particular always preaches to have spare parts but dang, this rod and jag had less than 100 rounds.

I ordered a super ram/range rod from Cains Outdoors (thanks to whom ever gave me info on this rod) and the spin jag Sabotloader was impressed with.

By the way, the threads on this rod looked like they were eating away. Could the powder have done this in that short period of time? If so, how do you protect these pieces?

I sure didnt think this would happen this quick.
Old 05-07-2007, 07:24 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Jag & rod

I doubt if the threads were corroded, especially that quickly. It was probably just a faulty jag. It happens.

That is one reason the use of a good strong range rod is something I swear by. I have a stainless steel range rod with a large T handle that was custom made, and it works great. My old Thompson Center Range rod finally wore the threads out. I thought about re-tapping it or just epoxy a permanent cleaning jag to it. I might still do that. That Cain's Super Rod is a great rod. I bought one for one of my flintlocks. A real quality item there.
Old 05-07-2007, 07:31 PM

I think it was Cayugad's top secret mix!

It stinks when something like that happens. The second trip out after I bought my White, I was all set up and ready to shoot, very excited. THEN NO CAPS!!!!! 20 miles back to the house. So I made the trip and shot. There was no denying me that day.
Old 05-07-2007, 07:33 PM
Boone & Crockett

oldrookie

Dang!

I ordered a super ram/range rod from Cains Outdoors (thanks to whom ever gave me info on this rod) and the spin jag
Is this the setup that broke? Gees tell me it wasn't....

Normally a jag threads break because on the back pull the the tip un-screws itself from the rod and the next time you drive it back down the thin brass threads just give up the ghost and break... The spin jag should not do that because it is free to rotate going in and coming out...

By the way, the threads on this rod looked like they were eating away. Could the powder have done this in that short period of time? If so, how do you protect these pieces?
I would not think so.... but it would hurt to flush and clean those threads once in awhile.

I use a different range rod, I am really hoping it was not your new set up... there are two different very common threads sizes ( 8x32 or 10x32)any chance that you had two different sizes?

Of course I can say this because it is what i use, but the best range rod is a Tipton - Carbon Fiber Rod, you understand it is the best since that is what i use.... - there is a joke in there somewhere...

http://www.battenfeldtechnologies.com/tipton-deluxe-carbon-fiber-cleaning-rods.html

http://www.battenfeldtechnologies.com/720747.html

The handle rotates on this rod as well as the spin jag if you have one installed....

Old 05-07-2007, 07:57 PM

Relax Sabotloader....I ordered the spin jag and super rod as soon as I got home. You are probably right on what caused it to break. In taking a better look at the threads, the jag broke not quite in the middle; therfore, the jag had loosened itself almost half way and then I jammed it back in there for another pass and snapped it. Cayugad, I did grind the threading down on the old rod and used Gorilla glue on the old jag. Gorilla glue is excellent but I doubt if it will hold. May be good enough for a cleaning tool.
Old 05-07-2007, 08:00 PM

By the way, the range rod and jag was the original that came with the Optima. That jag had been on so tight, I thought it was all one piece. I had never seen the threads until tonight.
Old 05-07-2007, 08:07 PM

Sabotloader, I didnt think about matching thread size. The super rod has 8/32 at one end and 10/32 on the other. Do you know what the thread size is on that spin jag? I bought the original not the slick one.

Also, to keep these things from backing out and getting loose, anybody see a problem with a locktite type of product?
Old 05-07-2007, 08:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

Is that inner rod brass or steel? Steel on that rod, wasn't it? You bet they'll rust quick if exposed to bp, pyro, or T7. Pays to clean everything - even the parts you wouldn't believe could be exposed. Did they ever fix the Optima rifles so that you can clean the firing pin area (without removing the buttstock)?

The Hunter Super Rods have one steel piece inside that jag (the worm part). You'll need to unscrew the jag from it and wipe it down on occasion, else it will corrode on ya. I have yet to use the worm on mine so I suppose it wouldn't be any great loss.
Old 05-07-2007, 08:31 PM

Underclocked, the jag and threads were brass and the rod I suppose is aluminum or at least it sure bent easy. Like I said, that jag was on so tight, I decided it was one piece. Never saw the threads until tonight. Otherwise, I would have cleaned the jag in the same solution when I soak my breech plug.
Old 05-07-2007, 09:34 PM
Boone & Crockett

oldrookie

The super rod has 8/32 at one end and 10/32 on the other. Do you know what the thread size is on that spin jag?
Mine are 10/32...

dumb question... are you getting a ram-rod for your rifle or a range rad for shooting?

I bought the original not the slick one.
That is the one I prefer...

Also, to keep these things from backing out and getting loose, anybody see a problem with a locktite type of product?
Should not need to the spin jag comes with a nut you tighten into the rod and I am talking range - rod as I do not use the ram rod for anything but hunting....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.