Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Jag & rod

Old 05-07-2007, 09:58 PM

Default RE: Jag & rod

Sabotloader, I am buying the super rod for range only. Its like 32" single rod...be too long for the field. I am going to buy another rod for field only. Not sure what to get but its not going to be a replacement CVA. I think someone on here posted the fact that Traditions makes a nice rod for the field.

Do you use the spin jag in the field?

I am interested in seeing that little booger. Should be a lot less friction going down the bore.
Old 05-07-2007, 10:27 PM
Boone & Crockett

oldrookie

I am buying the super rod for range only. Its like 32" single rod...be too long for the field. I am going to buy another rod for field only.
Got it that makes sense now....

Do you use the spin jag in the field?
Nope - only at the range or general shooting.... but you could. I use the TC super jag in the field on the end of my ram rod. I cut the ram-rod down so I can install the super jag.

Should be a lot less friction going down the bore.
I really think it does reduce some of the resistance going down...

Old 05-08-2007, 02:48 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: oldrookie

Sabotloader, I didnt think about matching thread size. The super rod has 8/32 at one end and 10/32 on the other. Do you know what the thread size is on that spin jag? I bought the original not the slick one.

Also, to keep these things from backing out and getting loose, anybody see a problem with a locktite type of product?

I am very familar with Lock-tite it is made so you can get things apart as well as keep them together, I would use a purple threadlocker so you can get it apart quite easily. Blue will work also but it will be a little harder to get it apart.
Redclub
Old 05-08-2007, 05:45 PM

Thanks Redclub! I think I will use some just to take a little strees off of the threads.
Old 05-08-2007, 06:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

About a month ago I broke the Jag off in my T/C plains rifle. I had some others people have tossed in my box at one time or another.
Set up the vice in my drill press drilled #27 holes in all the broken jags. Taped them 10x32, went to the hard ware store and bought a packet of 10x32 set screws for about 35 cents. I now have 5 or 6 jags for the 50 and 3 or 4 for the 54.

Al
Old 05-08-2007, 06:49 PM

Good idea alleyyooper. I was looking for a way to salvage the rod and jag. Figured I could use it for cleaning purposes. So you drill all the way through the jag and then screw it in the opposite end thats threaded?
Old 05-09-2007, 07:23 AM
Nontypical Buck

No I drill a bit over half of how long the set screws are since I don't have a bottoming tap that size. The bit over half allows the tapered tap I have to thread the jag half way. Fill the hole and threads about half with Permabond 202 and screw the set screw in.
Those set screws are not really all that long, about a half inch.

Al
Old 05-09-2007, 09:28 AM

Could you drill all the way through and use appropriate screw with a round head? The end I would screw it into is already tapped at either 8/32 or 10/32.
Old 05-09-2007, 07:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

Yes you could use a machine bolt and run it all the way thru the jag. Fact is you could run it all the way thru a over sized hole and it would be able to spin with the rifleing if it was spaced off the end of the ram rod.
Use a 8x32 and a 10x32 to see just which threads your ram rod has.

Al