Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Conversion question >

Conversion question

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Conversion question

Old 04-28-2007, 06:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Conversion question

I have a 50 Bobcat in percussion that I use as a test bed beater type gun. I've been somewhat interested in checking out the flintlock world lately and got to wondering what it would take to convert the Bobcat over to flint as a cheap entry level way of getting my feet wet.I know I would have to replace the lock but what would be needed for the barrel? I'm guessing that I could unscrew the bolster and replace it with a vent liner. Would it be as easy as that or is there something I'm missing?

Thanks for any info you guys have for me.
Old 04-28-2007, 06:53 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Conversion question

I've nver tried anything like that. A concern would be the pan VS the vent hole. They have to match up. Also whether the holes in the stock would match up I do not know. Personally I would just watch the auction sites for a low cost flintlock and keep the Bobcat as is. I picked one up a couple weeks ago, for $155.00 and it is a beauty.
Old 04-28-2007, 11:50 PM
Typical Buck

What to do about the barrel, good question. If your CVA is like my old hawkin the drum is not inteded to be removed from the barrel. If that is the case with your gun you will have to find a flinter barrel too. Ebay has a lot of barrels from time to time, locks too.
Old 04-29-2007, 02:23 AM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks for the replies so far.

Based on the replacement drums that Dixie sales for the CVA's, the thread pitch is 10x1.25. I have had torotate the drum on one of the Bobcats that I have to square up the nipple to the hammer and it was not that hard to rotate. I did this after consulting with Deer Creek, they are the folks that bought out most of CVA's sidelock stock. If the vent liner is the same thread pitch as the drum, it should work. The big question would be whether the lock would line up correctly with the vent.

I have been watching ebay to see if anything comes up.Right nowthere is a Traditions Deer Hunter in flint that might be a possibility if the price doesn't get too high.
Old 04-29-2007, 07:55 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: dmurphy317

Thanks for the replies so far.

Based on the replacement drums that Dixie sales for the CVA's, the thread pitch is 10x1.25. I have had torotate the drum on one of the Bobcats that I have to square up the nipple to the hammer and it was not that hard to rotate. I did this after consulting with Deer Creek, they are the folks that bought out most of CVA's sidelock stock. If the vent liner is the same thread pitch as the drum, it should work. The big question would be whether the lock would line up correctly with the vent.

I have been watching ebay to see if anything comes up.Right nowthere is a Traditions Deer Hunter in flint that might be a possibility if the price doesn't get too high.
There is a TC Renegade over on Gunbroker.com for $375:
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=70797577

I bought my 50 cal TC Hawken FL from Gunbroker last Jan and it is an excellent rifle. That Renegade looks in beautiful shape.

Also at Williams Gun Sites (the make peeps and open sites) they have two TC Percussion rifles, one is $119

http://www.williamsgunsight.com/gunsights/813usedblkpowderguns.htm

I saw in one thread a few months ago, that you can install a FL Lock on them and a new GM barrell and have a FL.

These are some sales on Gunbroker that I was kinda watching:
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=70797577

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=70433144

Whenever you can get a TC FL or Percussion for < $200 that is a real good deal.
Chap Gleason
Old 05-07-2007, 12:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks for the info CG,
I just got word from a gunsmith friend and he informs me that he has done some conversions of CVA's and it is just a mater of unscrewing the drum and replacing it with a vent liner, then replace the percussion lock with a flint. he said it works just fine. Now I just need to decide which way I want to go.

Thanks again for all the input.
Old 05-07-2007, 06:39 PM
Boone & Crockett

dmurphy317

For what it is worth your gun smith is correct, the drum came about to allow a percussion cap before the drum there was a vent liner there. The drum allows a cheaper (should say less expensive) way for a company to offer flint or percusion using the same barrel.

Old 05-08-2007, 06:12 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: dmurphy317

I have a 50 Bobcat in percussion that I use as a test bed beater type gun. I've been somewhat interested in checking out the flintlock world lately and got to wondering what it would take to convert the Bobcat over to flint as a cheap entry level way of getting my feet wet.I know I would have to replace the lock but what would be needed for the barrel? I'm guessing that I could unscrew the bolster and replace it with a vent liner. Would it be as easy as that or is there something I'm missing?

Thanks for any info you guys have for me.
It would be as easy as that. But you must have a lock that fits in the lock recess so that the top edge center of the powder pan is even with or slightly BELOW the touch-hole in the vent liner. Like this:

If you intend to leave it a flintlock after conversion, then all you need is a lockplate that is the same size as or bigger than the percussion lock's platethat you can inlet in the correct location as far as the pan and trigger bar are concerned. Did CVA ever make that rifle ina flintlock version? If so, perhaps you can find the proper lock somewhere.

Old 05-08-2007, 06:23 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: sabotloader

dmurphy317

For what it is worth your gun smith is correct, the drum came about to allow a percussion cap before the drum there was a vent liner there. The drum allows a cheaper (should say less expensive) way for a company to offer flint or percusion using the same barrel.
Actually, the drum was developed as a means for converting flintlocks to percussion by drilling out the touch-hole or vent liner, re-threading the hole for the drum thread, installing the drum, sawing off the powder pan and filing the pan opening out to drum diameter, and replacing the flint cock with a percussion hammer. Many beautiful flintlocks were ruined this way! Now we are trying to convert some of them back to flint!