Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
cleaning ml's-help! >

cleaning ml's-help!

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

cleaning ml's-help!

Old 12-17-2002, 12:19 PM
Fork Horn

Default cleaning ml's-help!

i have 2 knight ml's. one used for about 8 years by me and given to my dad 2 years ago. i bought a disk stainless 2 years ago. here goes.
after cleaning my dad's gun, it seems i cant get a clean or grey patch. ive run 25 patches in a row and the patch comes up a copper,tan color. i think its rust. i tried the bore brush(copper) but still get the same results on the patches. for 7 years i cleaned w/ soap and water. last year i used equal parts of murhph's oil soap/alcholol/peroxide. i want to have a clean patch! now my disk stainless. i have small "specks" on the barrell that, to me, look like rust. we had a wet novemeber here in va and i hunted w/ it in the rain. i wiped it down after each wet hunt but now i cant get these specks off. can i do anything? what do you ml experts think of the mosoap/alch/perox combo to clean the gun? is that my problem?
Old 12-17-2002, 01:07 PM

Default RE: cleaning ml's-help!

O2BEBOWHUNTER:I HAVE TWO INLINES AND WHAT I FOUND TO BE THE BEST ANTI-RUST IS KNIGHT TEFLONE PATCHES FROM KNIGHT PRODUCTS.I MYSELF DON'T USE SOAP @ WATER I USE KNIGHT BLACKPOWDER SOLVENT IN A SPRAY CAN FOLLOWED BY A BRASS BORE BRUSH THEN A COUPLE OF DRY PATCHES AND THEN FOLLOWED BY A TEFLONE PATCH DOWN THE BARREL NEVER HAD ANY RUST AT ALL.WHAT YOU can try on the m/l you have that you can't seem to get clean is a product made by brownells called j@b bore compound and some 0000 steel wool on a cleaning rod should do the job on removeing any rust you have in that gun.
Old 12-17-2002, 06:41 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: cleaning ml's-help!

o2bebowhunting,

Like Lonewolf said, get some J-Bs or Flitz bore paste and hit the barrel good with it. Smear some on a patch, then work the patch down the bore in quick, short strokes. Follow with 2 dry patches worked the same way. Do this about 6 times and then clean with your normal solvent (I use either Simple Green/Water or Murphy's/water/peroxide) - you should see a significant difference at this point if not absolute clean. I had a similiar rust problem after using Ballistol in my bore as a preservative and the Flitz took it right out.

Then to prevent the rust from coming back, after cleaning & drying the bore, run a patch or 2 of alcohol through it and as soon as it evaporates run a patch of the Knight oil or CLP through it..........no more problems.

"Every moving thing that liveth, I give unto you as meat" (Gen 9:3)

Trust God..........but keep your powder dry!
Old 12-17-2002, 10:36 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]