Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 What should I do??? >

What should I do???

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

What should I do???

Old 04-26-2007, 04:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default What should I do???

I am thinking about getting something new. I was going to get a Lyman 54cal flint Trade rifle but DNR sports doese not sell them anymore and they were the only ones with such a good price. I think it was $259.17. For some reason they do not have them anymore and everyone else with a 54cal flint Trade rifle is over priced ($300+).

The other thing I am considering is getting a GM barrel for my TC Renegade. It would probably be a 58cal but maybe a 54cal. I like this idea because I could have a real roundball barrel and if I get the 58cal I would have a whole new caliber to try out.

I could also get a flint lock for for my Renegade and put a flint barrel on it. Then I could have flinter. Not sure what I want to do. Any Ideas? I do not want to spend more than about $300. I will also not go smaller then a 54cal. I want a 54cal or 58cal.
Old 04-26-2007, 04:47 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: What should I do???

http://www.grafs.com/product/112632

give them a call. They had some flintlocks in a while back. They are still reasonable there but for how long is anyone's guess. If they are out of stock, you can often times still lock in a price with them. This is where I started buying my powder also.
Old 04-26-2007, 04:55 PM
Typical Buck

Schrumans in Clarkston has or last week had, a T/C Big Bore 58 cal on consignment for $350, it looked to be in good condition.

If I had to go strictly roundball I would go big to get some weight in the projetile.
Old 04-26-2007, 04:58 PM
Dominant Buck

That is a good deal on a big bore... I agree. If shooting roundball, larger is better for game animals.
Old 04-26-2007, 05:18 PM
Typical Buck

give midsouth a call,they show the lyman 54 percusion for $249.00
I remember I called them and ask about the trade rifle in a 54 cal.flinter ,they will have to order it no prblem think it was $269.00
I was lucky to pick up a kit renegade in 54 flinters a few years back.
Old 04-26-2007, 06:42 PM
Typical Buck

Just call Fox Ridge Outfitters all the T/C barrels they sell are under $200. I bet they will find a lock hanging around for you as well.
Old 04-27-2007, 09:02 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: goatbrother

Schrumans in Clarkston has or last week had, a T/C Big Bore 58 cal on consignment for $350, it looked to be in good condition.

If I had to go strictly roundball I would go big to get some weight in the projetile.
Do you have a link or phone number? I am interested but I think it would be better to get a GM drop in barrel for mine.

What about a 62cal? Username Roundball who is on here every once in a while rifled a GM 62cal smoothie. It only costed about $60 to rifle it. I would still be well withing my limit. Remember, I am hunting the Colorado rocky mountains with whatever I get. I am leaning toward a barrel. Do you think I should CONSIDER a 62cal or just go with the 58cal?
Old 04-27-2007, 11:50 AM
Dominant Buck

While a .62 caliber with the right rifling might be nice, I would probably just go with a .58 caliber. After all you are going to be shooting roundball. You are going to get as close as possible. You are going to be careful in shot placement. 284 VS 324 weight difference, and then the difference in diameter. A .58 is a big ball. If that expands at all, think of the hole that will be knocking through the animal.

Now I have to admit, if they offered the .62 in a rifled barrel I would get one of them, just for the thrill of shooting it and owning it, but that .58 is a good caliber. The early mountain men in the Rockies were happy if they had a simple .50 caliber Hawkins. They would have been thrilled to death to get a .58.
Old 04-27-2007, 12:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

Seems to me the .58 stuff would be a bunch easier to find compared to a .62.
Old 04-27-2007, 03:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Underclocked

Seems to me the .58 stuff would be a bunch easier to find compared to a .62.
Although I get my stuff on the internet I do agree. I will probably go with the GM 58cal barrel. Just one question, the 54cal roundball with 90gr FFG has the same power as a 58cal with 120gr FFG according to TC. So what makes the 58cal better power wise, really? I still want one but just wondering.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.