Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 First White arrived >

First White arrived

Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

First White arrived

Old 04-25-2007, 04:13 PM
Typical Buck

Default First White arrived

The mail man (woman actually) dropped off the Model 97 Whitetail Hunter stainless, laminated stock, Bushnell silver scope, .504 MTI rifle while I was at the hospital doing a colonoscopy (they used a heavy range rod I think).
This is the one I bought online from a Michigan guy that called the condition "great". It appears to have been shot probably 10 times or less and cleaned well. There are only a couple of light stains in the primer area and none on the scope. The bore is perfect and the stock looks new. For $325 delivered with about 30 bullets in the box with the rifle and the breechplug removal tool all in a hard case I am well satisfied. Now to get out and see how it shoots.
Old 04-25-2007, 04:22 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: First White arrived

EXCELLENT!!! Load that with 70 grains of 3f powder, Swiss or Triple Se7en, no wad and let it fly. No swabbing needed. Excellent accuracy. You are going to like it.

This is what mine was able to do the other day off a single bag for a rest. Not even a rifle rest, just a corn bag. I was more then happy with that five shot group. And there is a lot of power down range as well.
Old 04-25-2007, 04:46 PM

Yup.....EXCELLENT!!!!

Now get out and shoot those bullets. Better get an order in with Bullshop ASAP.

What bullets came with it? My brother just got his Ultra Mag yesterday. There were some of the 460 No Excusses, maybe 30 or so. He said they were marked with .503". I have shot .504" and .5045" from Bullshop. Not really sure if one shoots better, but I feel more comfortable hunting with the .5045".

Range report please.
Old 04-25-2007, 05:58 PM
Boone & Crockett

MLKeith

Ya got a great one - I am really confident you will like it...

I do not know if you plan on shooting conicals, sabots, or both - really doesn't matter cause it will shoot them both very well.

I have not shot conicals from mine, but I have watched Cdad launch a lot of those big chunks of lead down range - his White shoots 'em great. I shoot 110 grains of T7-2f with all the sabotted bullets I shoot, from 200 grain to 300 grain. Your Black Mag 3 should provide you the same same thing with great accuracy.

Good luck and have fun shooting...

Old 04-25-2007, 08:15 PM
Dominant Buck

I still got the bullets and sabots that came with my rifle. I shot one tube off and to be honest, the Bullshop shot a lot better then them from White. Ido hope you intend to post a picture of it some time in the near future. Anyword on when your T-Bolt will be done?
Old 04-25-2007, 09:47 PM

When i watch my Roger Raglin movies hes always shooting the Power Punch bullets from his whites. You guys ever try those? I know the sportsmans warehouse in denver sells them.
Old 04-25-2007, 10:01 PM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: cayugad

I still got the bullets and sabots that came with my rifle. I shot one tube off and to be honest, the Bullshop shot a lot better then them from White. Ido hope you intend to post a picture of it some time in the near future. Anyword on when your T-Bolt will be done?
I have some of the No Excuses 460gr. sized .503. Most of the bullets that came with it are bullet sabot style. Only a couple of real conicals. The guy said he wanted to shoot lighter bullets for deer which is why he sold it to save up for an Encore. No word on the T-Bolt but I am not pushing Doc as I will have to work some to find the time to get the 97 tested. Being retired really has ruined my spare time. I had more when I had kids at home and a job; go figure. Bad time control on my part. This rifle is a beauty; If I can figure out how to do it I will send a picture soon. Have not done that on this site before. I contacted the Bullshop by email but have not gotten a reply as yet. Maybe I will have to call. The only drawback to the rifle is the scope is mounted on a seethrough mount which I have had before and did not like. I will likely shoot it as is until I decide to pop for a more expensive scope. Considering a Burris Fullfield II with the Ballistic plex. I have one on my NEF and am ready to check it out also.
Old 04-25-2007, 10:23 PM
Boone & Crockett

MLKeith

I have some of the No Excuses 460gr. sized .503.
In your message you did not say if your Model 97 was an Ultra Mag or a regular White Model 97 with the shorter barrel...so...

Before you order you might want to try to find out what size you need... The Ultra Mags (White Model 97's) are a true .504 and a .503 will slide ride to the bottom with next to know pressure, actually the Bullshop .504 slide down to easy for my liking - but with a dirty barrel thay seem to hang in there.... Cdad got some .5045's from Bullshop and they were a better fit in my mind..... BUT... and Underclocked would be able to tell you more about this.... some Model 97's with a .504 barrel are tighter than the Ultra Mags and require the .503 or smaller

Just a heads from some of the stuff I have read on DWB's....

Old 04-26-2007, 05:46 AM
Fork Horn

My 2 Whites shoot .504's great, they engrave lightly and stay put while I'm hunting. Anyway slug that bore to be sure, Dan can size em to the correct size. I can't believe that guy sold his White to get an Encore. Heck I sold my Encore so I could buy more bullets for my Whites. Congrats on your first one, your goona love it.
Old 04-26-2007, 07:10 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: MLKeith

The mail man (woman actually) dropped off the Model 97 Whitetail Hunter stainless, laminated stock, Bushnell silver scope, .504 MTI rifle while I was at the hospital doing a colonoscopy (they used a heavy range rod I think).
This is the one I bought online from a Michigan guy that called the condition "great". It appears to have been shot probably 10 times or less and cleaned well. There are only a couple of light stains in the primer area and none on the scope. The bore is perfect and the stock looks new. For $325 delivered with about 30 bullets in the box with the rifle and the breechplug removal tool all in a hard case I am well satisfied. Now to get out and see how it shoots.
What auction site did you get the White on? Best wishes with it. Sounds like all the experienced/addicted shooterson the forum have one, and from Cayugad post I see why if they shoot conicals that good.
Chap Gleason

Quick Reply: First White arrived

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.