Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 My 1st muzzeloader >

My 1st muzzeloader

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

My 1st muzzeloader

Old 04-25-2007, 03:37 PM

Default My 1st muzzeloader

Hello All!

I find myself very intrigued by the new muzzleloader rifles for hunting, so I thought to ask...If you could only afford to buy one muzzleloader, what would you buy? I plan on using it for hunting a variety of species like boars, deer and maybe elk if I'm lucky...oh and do some target practice of course...

What else do I need to plan to purchase for a basic set up?

Thank you for your advice!

Old 04-25-2007, 03:49 PM

Default RE: My 1st muzzeloader

Info on where you're from and what type of muzzleloader you're looking for will help us to narrow it down.
Old 04-25-2007, 03:50 PM
Typical Buck

You first need to check the hunting regulations for the areas that you intend to hunt. Once you narrow that down to what is legal and what is not you can better make a decision on the ones that are left.My first recommendation isif youcould find a White S-91, or Ultra Mag (which is nearly impossible) you would likely be set for anything you wanted to hunt. I just found a White 97 in perfect used condition for $300 and it is great. Stick with at least .50 caliber as many states require at least a .50 cal for elk. It is also the caliber of choice with most so bullets are easier to find. The Whites do take a slightly oversize bullet so that is one slight negative to those great rifles. They will shoot multiple shots without swabbing between shots which is a positive when hunting; especially with elk as they are difficult to stop. Depending on what you want to spend the lower price recommendation from me would be an NEF Sidekick (or Huntsman which has been discontinued). I have the Huntsman. I also have a T/C Omega which is picky on what you can force down the bore. The Omega tends to have a very small bore compared with the rest of the ML market. If smokeless powderis legal where you want to hunt then another whole area opens up as there are smokeless powder muzzleloaders but they are on the upper end of the price spectrum. Personally I do not recommend the Spanish or Italian rifles mainly due to problems getting parts when required. Service is the best with companies like T/C or H&R/NEF as they are American and easier to deal with. CVA I understand has pretty good service but I would rather deal with all American.
Old 04-25-2007, 03:55 PM
Dominant Buck

Rookie Bowhunter- frontier gander is right on the money here. Are you interested in traditional rifles or the new modern inline styles? Also what kind of price range are you looking at? Optics? Laws in the state you hunt, for instance ignition system and rifle styles (some states do not allow closed breech or 209 primers)? Projectiles? Distance you might encounter to shoot?

As for what else is needed, well there are projectiles, caps or primers, powder, measuring device, cleaning patches, cleaning supplies, loading supplies, short starters, and a lot of other things. The good point is a lot of this can be found around the house or is a one time purchase. Except for the caps, powder, and projectiles of course.
Old 04-25-2007, 04:57 PM

I hunt in northern California, and I'm interested in the new inline systems...in CA during the muzzeloading only seasson I cannot use scopes, only open or peep sights...other than that I did not see other restrictions...I wish I could spend $500 or less in the rifle only so I can buy all the other stuff needed...

I also would like to stick to the American made...

thank you again!
Old 04-25-2007, 05:10 PM

Dont let that "american" made stuff go to your head. I also believe cali is banning lead bullets? I read that some where.
Old 04-25-2007, 05:24 PM

Id go with the cva elite, its a blackpowder/centerfire combo rifle. The .50cal Mler barrels are accurate as hell. $400 for a 50cal muzzleloader/ 30-06 centerfire combo. Extra barrels are also cheap. They have a 300win mag and a 45-70 coming out next month i believe.
http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/index.php/cPath/36_218
Old 04-25-2007, 08:28 PM
Fork Horn

Knight and TC
Old 04-25-2007, 08:53 PM

ORIGINAL: Flatland Hunter

Knight and TC
DIDO!!!!! NEF is also decent. If you buy those brands you won't be disappointed. Just buy the one that fits your budget, hunting style, and overall appetite. Decide for yourself.
Old 04-25-2007, 10:12 PM
Boone & Crockett

Rookie Bowhunter

If you were to consider a NEF - do a lot of homework. While some people love them there are also a lot of people that have really been disappointed with them also.

While older Knight's and most TC's are fine products, I certainly do not put the NEF in that class. Now that is just me so check around. It would be my opinion the upper class rifles in the BPI line would serve you better than a NEF.

Also, and I do not what type of hunting you plan to do - but do not rule out the more traditional guns. Some states the rules are so tight that an ordinary sidelock might provide you with more opportunities than an inline.

Most all inlines today require 209 ignition, yet many of the states out west still require percussion cap ignition along with am all lead projectile, and no optics...

Good luck in your search, hope everthing works out well for you. I would almost guarantee you what ever you buy it will not be your last... it is addictive.... I would almost be willing to bet you also that you are not shooting the bow today that you bought as your first bow...

Quick Reply: My 1st muzzeloader

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.