Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Which is best? Thompson Center, or CVA >

Which is best? Thompson Center, or CVA

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Which is best? Thompson Center, or CVA

Old 04-10-2007, 02:39 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Which is best? Thompson Center, or CVA

I can't say anything bad about CVA I did purcase some years back a eclipse mag: in 50 cal. and all I can say this gun did print some excellent groups.I think the bullet of choice was precision QT'S 40 cal 235 grainers and with 100 grains of pyrodex select powder just one rag hole at the 100 yad target from the bench,the only thing I did not like was the plastic stock.
I since then sold the gun and my choice of m/l are thompson center with 3 flinters and 1 inline there no need for any more
Old 04-10-2007, 03:51 PM

Rook I can't say anything about the cva but I can tell you that I would highly recommend a TC Omega if you are looking for just a loader.Quality, accurate, easy to maintain gun and most importantly great customer service if you have a problem or need some help. All the guys in our hunting camp shoot Omega's. They allcould have bought any gun they wanted but boughtOmega's. Good luck in your search.
Old 04-10-2007, 05:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

Well although you dont really need a Mercedes because the Geo will get you the same places which would you rather have? I bought my first TC last Fall and now wonder what took me so long...
Old 04-10-2007, 10:03 PM

TC without any doubt!!!!!! Frontier Gander and a few others are only fooling themselves. You could not truly find someone who likes the CVA better after trying both unless they were lying.

Buy the best and don't be disappointed. It's worth the extra cash hands down.
Old 04-10-2007, 10:05 PM

The Omega is also excellent for a little less.

If you can't afford the TC then go for the NEF Sidekick. It's better than the CVA for the cash.
Old 04-10-2007, 10:13 PM

The reason TC's don't sell as many as CVA is because of the price, plain and simple. It's like the difference between Ford and Chevy. Normally Ford will outsell because they have the cheaper product. Does that mean that they have the same quality? It's personal opinion I guess. The public buys what's cheap even if it's not better.

Perhaps TC and CVA should be compared asFerrari and Ford. That seems closer. [8D]
Old 04-10-2007, 10:18 PM

ive owned TC before and i loved the renegade, TC just doesnt build an inline rifle that can do what i need it to do. Plain and simple. Im not a ford man, I prefer buicks, they are kinda like BPI products, heavy, cheaper but lined up to the next product, they'll run you down and surprise you when you least expect it. It doesnt really matter what brand you're shooting, if you can shoot worth a crap in the first place, aint no gun going to help. Heck even the gun smith was complaining about the tc products. Some people like apples while others prefer peaches.
Old 04-10-2007, 10:25 PM

BTW: How am i only fooling myself? Ive owned the rifle for 4 years now without a lick of trouble and never had to get service. You'd love this one if you ever got behind it.
Old 04-10-2007, 11:21 PM

Some people like apples while others prefer peaches.

That about says it!!!

Look at them both and decide for yourself. You may be pleased like Frontier. One person's opinion should not be the deciding factor.
Old 04-11-2007, 07:08 AM
Fork Horn

I own a CVA Kodiak and a TC Omega and like them both equally. I can say that if you buy a CVA you will have excellent customer service and follow on support if you have any problems with your gun. Don't buy a gun for the brand name, buy a gun because you like the way it feels and how well it is balanced. Which by the way...my CVA is balanced better and has a much better trigger pull (after having CVA lighten it- it is less then 2.5lbs) so it is my favorite gun.